PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Releases D40X

Jason McK
03-14-2007, 02:02 AM
I just returned for the Photo Marketing Assosiations big North American Trade Show. Nikon Released their new Nikon D40X. This is a 10.2 Megapixel SLR that should compete with the Canon Rebel XTi. I was able to play with it and Really like the feel and look. Plus it's forcasted retail price is just over $800.00 compared to the Rebels $1100.00

Just thought I'd share

OH BTW Canon had a new EOS 1D for around $6,000.00

J

woodcarver
03-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jason. In the market for a new camera as I have just lost my old one . Will check it out.
..............................Dave

Veng68
03-14-2007, 05:34 AM
anything new on the compact megazoom's like the Canon 3IS or the Panasonic FZ50 type camera?

Cheers.
Vic [veng68]

andresont
03-14-2007, 07:29 AM
What i am waitng for is Infra Red cameras to get down in price for UFO shots in cold morning sky !

Jason McK
03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Canon has a new Power Shot A570is. Both Nikon and Canon are now putting Image Stabilization were ever they can so a lot of the point-and-shoot cameras now have i.s.
Unfortunatly I'm in the market for a new SLR but I know Nikon had a mega zoom that was new as well.

J

kwirky
03-16-2007, 06:45 PM
they're still cranking up the mega pixels when they should be cranking up sensor size *sigh*

Honestly, I think used digitals are the way to go. Buy an old rebel or D70 or something. I've sold 22" prints off my 6mp rebel that were stunning. Just have to make sure you meter properly, and use a tripod, and buy a REAL good lense. I love straight lenses (non-zoom lenses) for their image quality and F speeds.

I've seen so many people who've sold their nikon D70's for $400 just so they can buy a D80. monopolize on their addiction to consumerism, and get your stuff from the buy-hole ;). What's 1000 exposures on a camera? Mine's already at 4000, and still going strong.

What I find real amusing, is that they charge about $600 more for upper-end models that have things like servo focus and such. I bought my Elan 7NE (top of the line 35mm canon) for $400 new, it shows that they can build all that "pro" level stuff in a camera for like $200 cost. And the camera has features that the $3000 digitals DON'T have.

Again, buy used, and they'll drop their prices to where they should be.

Jason McK
03-16-2007, 06:53 PM
they're still cranking up the mega pixels when they should be cranking up sensor size *sigh*

Honestly, I think used digitals are the way to go. Buy an old rebel or D70 or something. I've sold 22" prints off my 6mp rebel that were stunning. Just have to make sure you meter properly, and use a tripod, and buy a REAL good lense. I love straight lenses (non-zoom lenses) for their image quality and F speeds.

I've seen so many people who've sold their nikon D70's for $400 just so they can buy a D80. monopolize on their addiction to consumerism, and get your stuff from the buy-hole ;). What's 1000 exposures on a camera? Mine's already at 4000, and still going strong.

What I find real amusing, is that they charge about $600 more for upper-end models that have things like servo focus and such. I bought my Elan 7NE (top of the line 35mm canon) for $300, it shows that they can build all that "pro" level stuff in a camera for like $150 cost. And the camera has features that the $3000 digitals DON'T have.

Again, buy used, and they'll drop their prices to where they should be.

I can't agree more with the increasing the sensor comment but the cost of doing so put the camera price out of range of the average consumer. But I guess we just need one manufacture to take the jump and they would all follow suit.
Can I ask what you printed 22" prints with?

J

kwirky
03-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Can I ask what you printed 22" prints with?

J

48" epson plotter at the school. Works out the cheapest to print 2 pictures side by side on the plotter, than to print them on a 24" printer, because the plotter uses HUGE cartridges. Those cartridges are 1L each, those things are massive!

I can't agree more with the increasing the sensor comment but the cost of doing so put the camera price out of range of the average consumer.

digital camera sensors are built close to the same way as computer chips. If they manufactured them at lower MP's, then they'd have high enough yields to justify the larger sensor sizes.

Jason McK
03-16-2007, 09:06 PM
digital camera sensors are built close to the same way as computer chips. If they manufactured them at lower MP's, then they'd have high enough yields to justify the larger sensor sizes.

To me that does not make sense. Why create bigger chips if your not going to utalize the size to increase PPI? The current CCD chips can handle the Pixels as long as the manufactureing standards are kept high. 2 years ago when 10MP point and shoots were first being released it was common to have a great deal of noise do to the fact that the CCD was now using areas of the CCD that were determined to be of lesser quality. Todays 10MP cameras do not have the same problems with noise. This could be Software but I believe it is also the CCD.

Bottom line is the average digital shooter does not need anything more than 3MP.

J