PDA

View Full Version : Questions before I buy a calcium reactor.

trilinearmipmap
03-12-2007, 02:54 AM
I am looking at getting a calcium reactor for my 120 gallon mixed reef.

Up until now I have run a kalkreactor and two-part.

Here are my questions:

1. Do most people run these with or without a pH controller?

2. Do most people use a kalkreactor in addition to the calcium reactor, or not.

3. I am looking at the Barr Aquatics model 100 reactor

http://www.austinoceans.com/products-calciumreactors.html#calciumreactors

because it is compact, requires no feed pump, and I like the design overall. Is there any other model that people would suggest that is available in Canada and comparable quality? I want something simple and bulletproof.

andresont
03-12-2007, 03:35 AM
This is nice unit ! Reverse flow, Ph probe port, pump included and flow meter! could use for bio-Denitrator too. I like it.
I think this is good for 120 the only thing if you keep a lot of SPS then you will need to fill up media more friquently.
Yes you would need to know you PH for sure, for more issues like hair alge likes lower PH and overall system control.
With Calc reactors you PH tends to be on the lower side so Kalk reactor is a big help also for Phosfates control.
look at www.oceanaquaitcs.com in ladner. they used to sell their own but not as nice as the one on your link.

mark
03-12-2007, 04:57 AM
Fairly new to this reactor thing but what I think is a pH controller could be helpful but not necessary though a pH monitor is really handy compared to test kits. Found by setting the bubble rate and flow can get the effluent pH steady from 6.7 to 6.8 without a controller though still have a solenoid in-line.

I only upped my reactor effluent rate about a week ago but flow about 60ml/min and tank pH ranges 8.0 to 8.1 (system volume ~ 180g).

Delphinus
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I have never used a pH controller with my reactors as you can dial them in yourself, but if you want to use one it's a "nice to have." I tried dialing in a reactor though before having a pH monitor at least, and it was a nightmare. You need to make the setpoint 6.7 and test kits are going to be hard to get the resolution you need.

You can use a kalk reactor still. I try to use both kalkreactor and calcium reactor on my tank. The reactor pulls your tank pH down slightly, the kalk will help resist this.

Most calcium reactors don't need a feed pump. You can use a little powerhead though, or T off a sump return, or use gravity feed. There tend to be lots of options.