PDA

View Full Version : Too much Carbon?

cav~firez22
03-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Is it possible to run Too much Carbon?

I have 2 filters on my 65 gallon tank.

1 is a Fluval 404 with 2 trays full of carbon, and the other 2 are empty. no foam pads in the filter

the other is a Eheim 2229 Wet/Dry with bottom tray containing Seachem De-Nitrate, and the other has 2 sachets filled with carbon. this filter is running as continuos. not wet/dry

danny zubot
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't think so. Carbon just absorbs waste so the more you have the more waste will be absorbed.

BCOrchidGuy
03-12-2007, 08:56 PM
My understanding though is that carbon can absorb trace elements as well.

Doug

phreezee
03-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Some sites out there blame too much carbon for HLLE. Google it and take it with a grain of salt.

cav~firez22
03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
does carbon cause chemicle reaction? (GIVE OFF HEAT)???

My tank has rizen up to 82 Degrees overnight, and i cant figure out why. the heater is fine i even unplugged it. the only thing new i did was add the carbon to the tank....although everything seems to be looking better at this temp. the Pearl Bubble is ....bubbly, and the hammercoral is rather large, as well the torch.

tangs seem fine, clowns are too busy screwing the annenmoie to notice anything... coral beauty is fine. all are fine...

andresont
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
does carbon cause chemicle reaction? (GIVE OFF HEAT)???

My tank has rizen up to 82 Degrees overnight, and i cant figure out why. the heater is fine i even unplugged it. the only thing new i did was add the carbon to the tank....although everything seems to be looking better at this temp. the Pearl Bubble is ....bubbly, and the hammercoral is rather large, as well the torch.

tangs seem fine, clowns are too busy screwing the annenmoie to notice anything... coral beauty is fine. all are fine...

It does give of heat and also absorbs a lot of Oxygen.
So the important thing is to do it slowly and gradually (sounds like a brocken record for everything in this hobby).
So it is not the total ammount of carbon it is the amount of new carbon that has been put in the water flow.
What i do is, soak any chemical filtration media in RO/DI water overnight, so no heat no Oxigen loss and also washing some Phosphates out of carbon.
ATF
I like your comment about clowns and the anemone ! LOL .!

danny zubot
03-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Good info here, thanks.:biggrin: