PDA

View Full Version : Mantis?

ed99
03-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I suspect I may have a mantis shrimp in my tank. The tank is relatively new (about 3 months now) and I bought about 150 lbs of new live Jakarta rock when I set it up. I have already removed one mantis that was walking across the top of the rock so he was easy. Earlier this week I heard three sharp click like a marble hitting glass. I have only heard this once. The other evidence is that I bought two new cleaners a week ago who I thought were goners immediately. Since then I have found them, but they never leave their hiding spot in the bottom corner of the tank. Cleaners I have had in the past were not that shy. I don't have any snails or crabs so I have not seen a trail of destruction.

Any thoughts? I have not seen any other sign of him day or night.

Thanks,

Ed

krisalexander
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
It is very possible it is a mantis, but you cant rule out the possibility that you could have a pistol shrimp! (just thought I would point out a possitive).. However, my cleaners that i got werent out for about a week or so, they would hide in the back..It wasnt till after that that they came out more and more...

Best of luck,

Kris

justinl
03-10-2007, 11:34 PM
the clicking may have been from a pistol, or a snail in front of a powerhead whose shell is hitting the glass, or of course the mantis. Organisms that are newly introduced are often skittish and nervous so that may explain the cleaners. If you want you could throw in a bottle trap to see if you could lure out the mantis if you have one. Have you done the stake out? some mantids are diurnal (active during daylight) and some nocturnal so you'll have to watch day and night. A visual/pic is the only solid proof.

What was the fate of the last one? you didn't kill it did you?

tmbar19
03-11-2007, 05:14 AM
We bought a complete 90 gal. set up a week ago. When draining the last of the water, there was this little 1/2" pale blue shrimp-looking thing. We thought he'd be "food" for the fish, but didn't have anywhere else to put him. Unfortunately we didn't know any better, and slipped him in the tank. Mistake! Now we are trying to trap him out. We hear him "snapping" occasionally and he's smashed up one of my little hermits. I was told not to destroy him, as many people like to keep them as pets. They are supposed to be very intelligent. Hope he's dumb enough to get caught! Marianne

ed99
03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yep, I've done some staking out but haven't seen anything yet. I guess one week isn't long for the new shrimp though previously the cleaners I have had were less shy. One reefer reckons that if I had a mantis the cleaners would be goners already. I'll hold off putting in any more fish or crustaceans for a little while longer and see if I find any more signs of him. I do not have snails or crabs so they won't explain that clicking.

As for the mantis I did find- he went to a good home.