PDA

View Full Version : Bare Bottom vs substrate

matix
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi there reefers,

I been a little confused about the idea of bare bottom vs substrate.

last week I removed all my substrate from the bottom of my tank because I was told that i could cause tank kill from bacteria building up in the substrate. And if I want to do substrate I would have to change a % of it every 3 months.

I now regret taking my sand out, it takes away the natural look. So my question is,

Is there a type of substrate that is safe and does not need to be changed ever.

Thanks

Black Phantom
03-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I've had a six inch sand bed in my 250 for around five years. So far my tank looks great and no problems. There has been a ton of for and againt posts on this subject. You just have to go with what looks good to you.
Any kind af sand sifter helps to keep things stirred up and I have a ton of worms and other critters in mine.
My sand sifting star is very well fed :biggrin:

Kronk
03-10-2007, 08:00 PM
changing out a % of your sand doesnt seem necessary so long as you have sand sifting creatures or even just mix it up as you do a water change. Substrate helps buffer your water and once established will work much like your live rock for improving water conditions, housing GOOD bacteria. I think the only reason people to BB is because they like the look.

Cheers,
Ken

matix
03-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the replys,
DO have any recommendations on a substate

the stuff I use to have would blow all over the take when I turned on my power head. so maybe a substate that will withstand a high current.

scuglass
03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
what were u using before? u could always try crushed coral if the sand wasnt working for u.

untamed
03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I think the only reason people to BB is because they like the look.

Cheers,
Ken

There may be some people who choose BB for that reason, but I think most who chose that route do so because they can remove all detritus from the bottom for an ultra clean system. I think it all about long-term control of nutrient build up.

Personally, I'm going to compromise. The visible half of the tank will be covered with sand, but the back half will be as bare as possible.

Scavenger
03-10-2007, 08:48 PM
changing out a % of your sand doesnt seem necessary so long as you have sand sifting creatures or even just mix it up as you do a water change.

The best sandsifters in my system are a plastic chopstick and a hairpick with every second tooth broken off. I just rake here and there now and again.

Beverly
03-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I was skeptical about the look of a BB tank before I tried it almost two years ago. Yes, at first, it looked unnatural. Over time, however, the bottom got encrusted with coralline algae, so it no longer has that "bare" look.

The greatest benefit is being able to siphon out crud on a weekly basis. You absolutely wouldn't believe how much crud comes out of our 120g :eek: We do two passes with the siphon, pictured below:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/reeftips-maintain-bb-13.jpg

The first pass is to get all the loose stuff from the back of the tank. Then we use a turkey baster to blow the crud out from under the rock to the back of the tank, and siphon out the rest. The water in the pail is totally brown :eek:

Here's a pic of what we used to get out of our BB 67g when it was running compared to a pail of new salt water. The 67g cruddy pail looks clear compared to what comes out of our 120g:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/reeftips-maintain-bb-1.jpg

Black Phantom
03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
For sure the bare bottom is easier to keep clean and a nice layer of coraline helps to make it look nice. I installed a high tech cleaning system that covers the entire tank and keeps my sand nice and white.

Hermit Crabs (about fifty of them) :lol:

matix
03-10-2007, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Black Phantom;240092] I installed a high tech cleaning system that covers the entire tank and keeps my sand nice and white.QUOTE]

What do you have for a high tech cleaning system?? Chop stick and a comb??

Black Phantom
03-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I was refering to my hermits as the high tech system. Blue legged, red legged, common brown ones. You name it. I've got em.
Their great at keeping the tank clean

Der_Iron_Chef
03-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I am so happy I went to a BB system. As Beverly said, so easy to suck up all the detritus...and once the coraline starts building up, it does look nice, too.