PDA

View Full Version : a picky foxface?

justinl
03-09-2007, 05:58 AM
I got a new foxface a couple of days ago but so far it hasn't eaten much. I have thrown in some lettuce but although it takes a bite or two at it, it doesn't seem to be eating much at all. I also feed brine shrimp and it eats a little bit of this. I tried feeding nori and it ignored it completely. I have some red macro algae in there but I've never seen the foxface even nibble it.

I got this fish because i was under the impression that it ate just about anything. Do you think i might just have the most picky foxface on Earth? Or does it just need some more time to get used to the new tank?

water parameters are fine. It has plenty of space to hide, most of the time it's in its normal colouration (as opposed to the night/stress colouration). Only other tankmate is a damsel which actually seems timid compared to the foxface.

Slick Fork
03-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi there,

I got a foxface a couple of weeks ago who was also a little picky. He didn't seem to realize what nori was, one tip that I found was to soak a piece for a couple of minutes in some water with garlic (not fake stuff, real garlic). This seemed to do the trick. Now, he practically rips the stuff out of my hand as soon as I try to reach in and attach it to the veggie clip!

Black Phantom
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
A lot will depend on how much food is currently in your tank. Any hair algae or that kind of thing?.
I've had mine for about four years now. He started out slow but will eat just about anything nowadays.
I'm always happy if my new fish even nibble anything. At least it shows they are feeding.
Give him some time and a big fat piece of Mysis shrimp (mine loves the stuff):biggrin:

justinl
03-09-2007, 03:23 PM
thanks for the tips, Ill try the garlic soak and the mysid.

No my tank has no hair algae (or any other kind for that matter... just the red macro). It just finished cycling a week ago.