PDA

View Full Version : Alkalinity High Calcium Low

krisalexander
03-09-2007, 04:10 AM
I just measured my alkalinity and it is about 14 dKH, and my calcium is about 380. I was just wondering is there a way to lower them? is a high alkalinity a really bad thing? I am using C-Balance two part.. However, am about to switch to Seachems Reef Calcium Advantage.. All thoughts are welcomed, reef chemistry is a new learning curve for me and as much as I read i get confused a little bit more more the further i read...

Thanks

Kris

marie
03-09-2007, 04:34 AM
The alk, while high, it isn't too high nor is the calcium that low but if you want to balance them a bit more just add the calcium part (of the 2 part additive) for a few days until the alk drops a bit. 10 dkh is probably a good figure to shoot for :biggrin:

Quagmire
03-09-2007, 04:36 AM
380 Ca isn't low its just about right.I think it was Calfo who said a coral that uses 10ppm to grow dosn't care if its from water with 360ppm or 450ppm.But most ppl like to have more Ca due to either thinking they have to have over 400ppm,or they prefer to have a higher Ca so it dosn't drop too low between doses.As for Alk,since your useing a 2 part,just dose the Ca and not the Alk untill it comes down to where you want it.If you have been trying to raise your Ca but it won't go up,this may help.But also test your Mg,you want that around 1300-1400ppm.If its low Ca will be hard to keep stable.

kwirky
03-09-2007, 04:38 AM
here's a very good calculator to tell you how much calcium media to add to ballance your alk/calcium. from experience, it's fairly acurate. and it has a nifty little chart for us visually minded people :D

http://reef.diesyst.com/

krisalexander
03-09-2007, 04:59 AM
thanks for that link what a great little calculator..thanks again.

Kris

untamed
03-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I think that Holmes-Farley would probably suggest that this is just the result of overdosing both parts. Cut back on your dosing quantity, but continue to dose both parts. I think you will find the Alk falls, while the Ca doesn't move much.

You could try to manipulate the Ca/Alk separately, but I doubt that you need to in this case.

StirCrazy
03-10-2007, 12:02 AM
you levels are very good actualy. higher Ca levels than 380 will actualy start to slow down coral growth. I used to keep my tank at 380ca and 13 to 14alk and had the best results for both color and growth.

Steve