PDA

View Full Version : Baby snails....

robert
11-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Observing my tank closely this morning I noticed that I have about 20 (what I could see) tiny baby snails. It is very difficult to identify it since it is so small. Shell looks like cerith, long cone shaped. I have about 15 ceriths and they produce eggs like crazy. You know, these ornaments you may find on your glass one morning wondering what kind of worm it is. The only other snails I ever introduced were nassarius and one queen conch.

Aquattro
11-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Robert, I have about 500 baby cerith on my glass!! It's cute in the beginning, but now I need something that eats snails!!!

Delphinus
11-21-2002, 07:47 PM
Sure they're cerith and not rice snails? I can't tell the two apart (not the 1/2" cerith that you can buy, but the smaller cerith snails that you sometimes see.)

PS. Hey Brad If you ever want to bag some up and send some my way I'll take 'em off your hands (as long as they're not rice/pyramids!!! :p )

Aquattro
11-21-2002, 08:23 PM
Tony, they all grow up into adult ceriths. When I've flooded the cerith market locally, I'll start shipping! :D

StirCrazy
11-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Tony, they all grow up into adult ceriths. When I've flooded the cerith market locally, I'll start shipping! :D

that should be in about 10 years withour trak record for colecting snails :roll: :D

Steve

Aquattro
11-22-2002, 12:23 AM
Steve, I told you. You want them, roll up the sleeves and go get them! :D

EmilyB
11-22-2002, 02:07 AM
If they are in the bottom of the tank, I will come watch...... :lol: 8)

StirCrazy
11-22-2002, 02:32 AM
If they are in the bottom of the tank, I will come watch...... :lol: 8)

you just want to see my bare arms don't you :shock: :wink:

Steve

StirCrazy
11-22-2002, 02:32 AM
Steve, I told you. You want them, roll up the sleeves and go get them! :D

Ok next time I am bringing a bag :lol:

Steve

reefburnaby
11-22-2002, 03:52 AM
Robert,

The snails indicate that you have a healthy tank. If you find that your tank looks very bare (i.e. no algae) and the snail/conch looks hungry...then you can always feed them algae wafers.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

canadawest
11-23-2002, 05:27 AM
Hey Robert, if you want to let some of those baby ceriths find a new home, let me know. I'd gladly take a bunch from you as I want some in my refugium and it's been forever since local LFS have brought any in.

You know my number.

Gujustud
05-11-2005, 07:23 AM
I've started to have the same problem, specially within the last week or two. TONS and TONS of baby snails, and they seem to be getting stuck in the intake on my seios. I honestly don't know what to do. They are all about 1/16 " - 1/8".