PDA

View Full Version : Wow, get away from the hobby for a while and things sure change

digital-audiophile
03-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I've been somewhat out of commission when it comes to reef keeping for the past year.

The Mrs. and I moved from our condo into a house at the beginning of July last year. The move went very very poorly for my reef tank :( :( Within a month I had lost all my coral but I was able to keep my fish alive. I have most of of my live rock in a garbage pail circulating for the past year but I fear it is in very rough shape and will take a while to seed back to life as I fear it is very "dead" now.

I want to start up a new tank and use my current cube as a sump for it. My cube is a 37 gal. and I really think I want a simple 55 gal breeder to get going again. those short long tanks always look nice with a reef in them.

Does anyone locally have one that they may consider parting with for a fair price, We are also shutting down our fresh tank - the move on that one went a bit better - (parrots and clown loaches) so I could look at trading livestock for a tank?

Money unfortunatley is tighter than it used to be when I would drop hundreds of $$$ on coral without even thinking.. the reason other than an insane mortgage at Calgary house prices? My wife is Pregnant :) 30 weeks pregnant this week :) :)

Anyhow for those that might remember me, howdy, for those that don't ... Howdy ;)

Albert - Glenda and I miss seeing you up at Golds almost every weekend :p It used to give us something to do on the weekends... Now we just spend our time shopping for baby clothes :)

Is Nate still kicking around? Haven't seen him in ages.. allthough I did briefly see him goining into the Palliser Square tower where I work with fish goodies under his arm a couple months back.

Greg

Delphinus
03-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Uh .. Ok. Where do I begin?

Howdy, Welcome back, Congratulations, Nate is sorta still around, I hear ya on being broke, that rock you have in a garbage can is probably nicely cooked (ie. you don't realize it but you've been "cooking" it and it's probably in AWESOME shape now :), sorry to hear about the move not going well, ah don't go 55g for new reef, too wide and not enough depth ... How big are your clown loaches?

digital-audiophile
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
:) I could go with something bigger for the tank, Plenty of room in the basement now, thats the main reason I went with the cube in the condo is it fit nicely into a corner of our bedroom. I could eaily see myself with a 90+ Gallon tank, I guess I'm just trying to find something I can get for a decent price ($100-200). The clown loaches are still pretty small considering they are about a year and a half old, maybe 6" at the biggest, I'm sure their growth has been stunted due to the fact they are in a 40 gallon tank with 6 parrots that have stayed relativley small themselves. I'm not sure how many loaches are still left in the FW tank, that was always the Mrs' tank and I never paid too much attention to it myself.

Good to hear the rock may be in great shape, I have not had any light on it so that is why I have feared the worst, I have not pulled it out of the pail in almost a year since the move allthough I have been topping off the water and changing small portions when I can.

I actually feel really bad that I have not done much more with my tank sooner. I think when you move you just get so tied up in fxing up the house the way you want it (we went though about 6 months of renos) and with the baby on the way that has been priority #1.

muck
03-08-2007, 09:23 PM
(we went though about 6 months of renos)

Damn dude.. If you bought an older house like me 6 months is nothing.. Im going on 6 years. :lol:

Welcome back to the hobby btw!!

OCDP
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Does the bin your rock in have any heat/water movement ? If so, as Tony mentioned, your rock is probably in tip top shape (no algae, etc, etc.. )

digital-audiophile
03-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Damn dude.. If you bought an older house like me 6 months is nothing.. Im going on 6 years. :lol:

Welcome back to the hobby btw!!

Only 9 years old but it was very dated to the 90's nothing was done to upgrade by either previous owners, still a bunch more we want to do but the money runs out quickly :p

Does the bin your rock in have any heat/water movement ? If so, as Tony mentioned, your rock is probably in tip top shape (no algae, etc, etc.. )

I have a heater and a seio in there for movement, looks like I am going to be a happy boy when I go to use it :)

Now to find a bigger tank at an inexpensive price or trades :) I'm getting excited now.

albert_dao
03-09-2007, 02:26 AM
Hey Greg! I was wondering what happened to you guys. Glad to see ya around man!

kwirky
03-09-2007, 03:10 AM
some people put tanks in the bargain finder not knowing what they're really worth. Saw a 300g for $200 once, even :D

If you're patient, I'm sure you could find something for a great price within 3-4 weeks.