PDA

View Full Version : Temperate Reef Tank

Knobsmith
03-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Hi all!! This is my first post so if I ask any stupid questions, please be gentle. I have had several aquariums, all fresh water and I am making plans to take the plunge (Well at least up to me elbow ;) into a cold water reef tank. I do a bit of diving and like the idea of collecting local specimens to create a true Pacific Northwest reef tank.

I guess I'm just seeking advice from anybody out there that has already tested the waters and has a successful temperate tank up and swimming.

Here come the questions:

1) Anybody have a good local source for acrylic? I'm considering making my own tank and sump/refugium.

2) If making my own tank doesn't work out, is there a local source for acrylic tanks?

3) Chiller recommendations anyone? I'm looking to cool about 75gal. to about 60f.

I'll limit my questions to these for now.

P.S. Hi Christy. Yes, it is me. Ian

Der_Iron_Chef
03-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I reckon you'll need quite the chiller!

Welcome!

I'm neither from Vancouver, nor have I maintained a cold water reef tank. But good luck finding what you need :smile:

Dale
03-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Here's a recent thread on the subject

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31038

In my post I have added a link to my experience so far and a link to a RC thread that will prove quite useful.

If this keeps up we might have to have a Canreef dive trip this summer :mrgreen:

Diana
03-08-2007, 05:11 AM
One summer I did a "tidepool" tank without a chiller. It worked well for the summer that I had it set up. I had barnicles, crabs, little tidepool anenomes, hermit crabs, and a small purple starfish. I'd love to try it again with a chiller to be able to keep more than just tidepool stuff.

:)
-Diana

Knobsmith
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks to everybody who responded. I'm working on some drawings illustrating my planned set-up and would love to get some feedback when they are done.

untamed
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Did you read that the Vancouver airport (int'l wing) is putting in a large cold water aquarium?

justinl
03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
hey that does sound cool! i read found a little snippet off their site... "114-cubic-litre aquarium and a jellyfish tank. The aquarium will feature sea life native to British Columbia and the jellyfish tank will house 100 moon jellyfish." sounds fun. Mind you if you want to see some really nice temperate tanks in Vancouver, there's always the Vancouver Aquarium.

i wonder if that jelly tank will be a kreisel... I sure hope so. jellies don't do well in conventional aquariums.

untamed
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
i wonder if that jelly tank will be a kreisel... I sure hope so. jellies don't do well in conventional aquariums.

I sure hope so...You've got to assume that somebody consulted somebody before they decided on jellyfish.

fkshiu
03-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I would imagine (and hope) that the Van Aquarium would have something to do with the airport coldwater tank.

Knobsmith
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks Dale. I just had a chance to read that thread. Great info in there. Keep me posted with your progress. I hope to have something up and running for the summer, so I'll be ready to go collecting! Let's go diving!!

Knobsmith
03-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I am attempting to attach my tank plans. Please feel free to comment.

Knobsmith
03-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I've got to get one of these!!

justinl
03-29-2007, 09:56 PM
they're the most ridiculour fish you've ever seen right?! hahaha. At the Vancouver aquarium we have a tank with a few of them. They had eggs a while ago so now I get to raise them in the lab. They hatched and they're miniatures of their parents. very cute. I like to call the parents golf balls and the larvae size 12 font commas.

WHEN i get a cold tank, they are definitely on my wanted list.

Knobsmith
03-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Very cool. I'll have to check out those Lumpsuckers at the aquarium. I know a few people who work there and I can probably get a behind the scenes tour.

Glad to hear that there are others interested in cold water tanks. You will have to keep me posted if you make any progress. I'm still planning, planning.....

I think I finally decided on my tank. I have attached a picture along with a few more lumpsuckers. They can actually look quite beautiful despite the name.