PDA

View Full Version : fish to cycle tank

rossb
11-21-2002, 03:48 PM
In the course of researching salt water aquariums I have come across many bits of advise that say...1. don't use damsel fish to cycle your tanks, and an equal number that say....2. use damsel fish to cycle your tank. So Near as I can figure there have to be some people out there that followed advise #2 and wished they had followed advise #1.

I have just started cycling my tank and was wondering if anybody in Calgary has a damsel in need of a home. (Just so you don't think...dang another cheapo engineer, I will pay fair price for the fish). I'm thinking there must be a few of the above relegated to a meager existance in tank #2.

christyf5
11-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Try a molly. Thats what I used to cycle my tank. They can go from freshwater to saltwater easily and actually spawn in saltwater (bonus! ;) ). Then when you're done with it you can usually take it back to the store (or it can live in your sump like mine :D).

Christy :)

Delphinus
11-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Quite honestly, you don't need to. Only get the damsel (or other) fish if it's a fish you want to keep anyways. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is just get a bunch of live rock. Throw in the rock, and the tank will cycle. Heck with a few pieces of rock I doubt you'd really need to wait much longer than a couple of weeks before you could introduce your first fish into the tank.

For my first reef tank, being the impatient newbie, I of course didn't want to wait any amount of time longer than absolutely necessary, so, I tried this to speed things along (without adding fish): Take some household ammonia and add a drop a day for a couple of days. That will kick start a cycle too. You don't want to add a pile of ammonia all at once, what you want to do is simulate the accumulation of ammonia as if there was a live bioload, which would basically be a very small tiny amount being continuously added. I did this five years ago when I set up my first reef tank. Anyways after a couple of days the ammonia test kit indicated "lethal", but a week later it was undetectable. I should add that I don't even feel that even this procedure is necessary ... you're going to want live rock anyways at some point, so, why not add the rock now. It starts the cycle, and, I know this sounds geeky, but, it can actually be very interesting to watch just the rock and see all sorts of things sprouting from them for that first bit. It's very exciting to see your first copepod, or feather duster, or ... etc.

For me the live rock is the only way to go. Just my $0.02 ... 8)

rossb
11-21-2002, 05:02 PM
Tony I have about 15 pounds of live rock now and 25 pounds of live sand (all in my refugium) I am just waiting to get my Mh light and was planning on moving the rock to the big tank. I will do as you recommended.

thanks (I'm not in a big hurray)

Bob I
11-21-2002, 05:09 PM
(I'm not in a big hurray)

Hurray, I am pleased you are not in a hurry. You should have enough bacteria in the rock and sand to get the cycle going. When you get the stuff moved, you can add a small cocktail shrimp to keep things fed, and hurry the cycle along briskly.

AJ_77
11-21-2002, 05:58 PM
I have some live rock that has been sitting in room-temperature water for a few weeks (since taking down a nano). By the smell of it, I'd say it's loaded with stuff to speed a cycle along. It would make good base rock, too! Bonus!

Mostly smaller pieces, let me know if you want to make use of it. Probably 10 lbs altogether. Also got some rank live sand.

Alan

rossb
11-22-2002, 12:57 PM
That sounds like something I can't turn down..I am setting up my MH light tonight and starting the cycling thing tomorrow.

AJ_77
11-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Okay, the rocks are yours. The sand has been spoken for, however. :)

Alan

Bob I
11-23-2002, 04:08 PM
That sounds like something I can't turn down..I am setting up my MH light tonight and starting the cycling thing tomorrow.
Can I see it? :D :D

rossb
11-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Yes of course. But those *oro*s at petland ordered in the wrong bulb. After I told them twice the exact bulb...they brought in the mogul base one instead so it will be some time later thise week I think.