PDA

View Full Version : and i thought my days of floods were over...

smokinreefer
11-21-2002, 02:12 PM
well it happenned again...
got up this am to go to work...took a glance at my tank...oops left the actinics on all night...oh well, i thought to my self as my feet started feeling a little wet...i take a glance at the surrounding carpet around the tank and my computer :shock: and the carpet looks awfully dark and wet.

here is the culprit...
http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/flood.jpg

i had been using a slip on nipple for my water topoff...and it well...slipped off :evil: i had accidentally bumped it loose last night and i guess when i put it back on, both the nipple and the tube were probably wet, so i guess it wasnt able to create a tight fitting by friction alone. so now i have 20-30 gallons of water to clean.

unfortunately my wife has to go to school this am, so i can't even start up the wetvac for another hour or so...there sure are alot of towels on the floor :roll:

so i will be off to get a johnguest fitting to make a secure connection for my topoff. easy lesson learned...again, also i will move my pc tower to the other side of my desk...further away from the tank and off the floor.

even though i have all my outlets around the tank on a gfci, this could have easily been a great disaster. my pc tower sits directly on the floor, and i also had a few plugs and a new outlet i just installed sitting on the floor as well..

so i plead for everyone to check all their plumbing around the tank, and do whatever is neccessary to make sure things like this doesnt happen, even if it wont pose any danger, spills like this are a big PITA :evil:

here is my long time friend, which i wish i never have to see again!!!....
http://members.shaw.ca/smokinreefer/wetvac.jpg

here's to mysteriously becoming ill, not being able to goto work, so that i can spend my wonderful early morning vacuuming water!! woohoo! :roll:

rossb
11-21-2002, 03:27 PM
I am on my third flood proof tank design and so far I've only had two floods. From what I can tell flooding is like a smart virus...you finally figure out how to cure it .. and it instantly mutates! and at the worst possible time

Dresden
11-24-2002, 12:39 AM
=( i feel for u, I will try to learn from ur lessons and mistakes

ranz
11-25-2002, 06:14 AM
Its all part of the game.... :P If its not pouring out an overflow, the protein skimmer is siphoning it out of the sump onto the floor, a bad plumbing seal, the list goes on...

Hope things worked out okay!!!

Ranz