PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Any?

Dennis-Pir
03-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Pictures of their sump set up, I.e. the plumbing what the sump looks like etc...

Going to do the plumbing on my sump tommorrow, and planning on picking up my Skimmer from J&L, and my return pump from Big Als....... And I have my glue, and primer and 10ft length of pvc, plus my elbows( i think I have enough elbows) and valves.... Just looking for a good 'drawing' or picture of how ppl's sumps are set up.....

=)

Thanks

Dale
03-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Something like this?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/fishherder/basicsumplayout.jpg

I would suggest a set of baffles after the skimmer to remove microbubbles from the return pump though.

Joe Reefer
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Here is a shot of my sump/plumbing not very basic, but the design is simplistic. Water comes in on the left and out on the right.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/lyohemas/120%20gallon/img022.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/lyohemas/120%20gallon/img022a.jpg

Dennis-Pir
03-07-2007, 03:33 PM
See those are the types of things I am looking for, Thanks....

Hmm no must start to cut and measure exact lengths of pvc piping don't want to go another 10ft length because I messed up once or twice

Joe Reefer
03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Pipe is cheap, when you start messing up valves and fittings.....it can get a bit pricey.

Dennis-Pir
03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Well my system won't be even close to as elaborate as that considering I am using a 55g tank for my first FOWLR and a 33g sump..... I find it strange that my sump is almost as large as my tank but whatever, I guess that just means more water, from what I udnerstand... =) and I'll only be using about 75% of the 33g anyways

BCOrchidGuy
03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Dennis, why are you getting the pump from Big Al's J&L will most definately be cheaper for a pump. 33 gallons for a sump is a nice size, you've got room for a refugium to grow macro algaes if you want. The macro's are excellent for nutrient transport.

Doug

kwirky
03-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Dennis, why are you getting the pump from Big Al's J&L will most definately be cheaper for a pump. 33 gallons for a sump is a nice size, you've got room for a refugium to grow macro algaes if you want. The macro's are excellent for nutrient transport.

Doug

agreed, j&l would be cheaper. I don't like my mag sump for the sump return. over time's it's lost a lot of it's gph. I have to soak the whole thing in vinegar at least once a month.

here's my 33 gallon sump. it's a great example of "what NOT to do" :D
http://www.kwirky88.com/images/aquarium/07-03-08/mysump.jpg

it used to be a trickle filter for the tank when it was a cichlid aquarium, so it's not the best reef sump. no dividers, the overflow piping is hard plumbed at the strangest spot. only nice thing is I have a check valve. added security to having the 15 gallons of space if the power goes out. But it's kinda pathetic when the only nice thing about my sump is a check valve haha.

Would be too much of a hassle to replumb the tank and redo the sump, so I'm stuck with this for a long time. Good example of why a sump should be plumbed right in the first place ;)

oh yah, organizing the water flow is great n all, but organizing the power is quite important. that way you don't end up with a rats nest like I have.

Black Phantom
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
A great site for sumps with lots of pics is
www.melevsreef.com
This guy really helped me out when I started building my acrylic sump

Dennis-Pir
03-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Well I have a well HAD a 500$ Gift certificate for Big Al's that my fiance got me, so thats why i was thinking of going to Big Als to get it, I was just going to get them to do a price match on the MAG 7 for my return pump I think it'll be sufficient.....

But for my skimmer I am going to J&L's becuase I don't see anything worth getting at Big Als, and after that all, I'll have 275$-300$ GC left for Live Rock from Big Als, or other miscellaneous things from there....

I figure I may as well use it, unless someone here wnats to buy it off of me.. lol =)