PDA

View Full Version : Can anemone clones live in the same tank?

DanG
03-07-2007, 04:40 AM
My GBTA split and the clone has moved over to the other side of the same rock. This puts them about 6 inches apart, and when both fully inflated and spread out, their tips do touch. I can't find any evidence of them not playing nice together, but want to be sure.
They're both about the same size, 6-8 inches across.

On the plus side, I am starting to see my maroon clown again, before he would only host in his anemone, which was sticking out the back of the rock, now he's swimming between both and visible.

Delphinus
03-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Clones coexist perfectly - this is one way they form a 'colony'. No worries whatsoever with them in the same tank.

Ticketyboo
03-07-2007, 04:49 AM
Being a newby.... so annemonies clone?? how do they do this? under what conditions?

Delphinus
03-07-2007, 04:56 AM
It's just another reproductive strategy some species of anemone employ (in addition to spawning), in which an anemone may split itself into two or three new individuals. Not all species do this, but BTA's are one of the ones that do.

BCOrchidGuy
03-07-2007, 05:02 AM
There was an article on here about how to encourage a BTA to split, basically you feed the heck out of it and then do a massive water change. Don't forget though although it may get your BTA to split it may also cause everything else extreme amounts of stress.

Doug

untamed
03-07-2007, 05:30 AM
As long as clones don't occupy the exact same place at the same time....then the space-time continuum remains untorn and the world will not end.

Doug
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
An aquarist friend has a tank full of cloned rose BT anenome,s.