PDA

View Full Version : Naso dosnt seam to be eatting

bullit67
03-07-2007, 02:39 AM
I have a new Naso Tang and it dosnt seam to be eatting he goes through all the motions gets in on the feeding frenzy with every one else but I dont see him taking any food if he dose he just spits it out I am feeding a mix of frozen including emerald entree by san francisco bay mega-marine by hikari and a little pacific krill I have tried with garlic and with out and still nothing I also add some dry flakes into the mix

Any Ideas would be great

Doug

Dale
03-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Hi Doug,

The Naso is a grazing herbivore so the main part of its diet should be algae and seaweed. You can try commercial varieties of red and green seaweeds and tender romaine etc... but I have found mine won't eat the prepared foods. It grazes off of natural occurring Dictyota and Lobophora primarily. I need to grow the Lobophora in a separate tank as it mows it down otherwise. If you are coming over to The Hidden Reef on a particular day I can drop off some samples of seaweeds to see what your tang will go for.

krisalexander
03-07-2007, 04:46 AM
Another option to try, you could dip your food in Garlic extract i use garlic guard, this attracts new fish that wont eat in my experiences.... Plus this is a great way to help elimate Ick....Hope it helps, but try seaweed, and put some garlic on it..

Kris

niloc16
03-07-2007, 08:13 AM
the garlic works for some fish. you can try and attach seaweed to a rock or press it into spaces in the rock if the naso is grazing. eventually he will notice the scent and come to the veggie clip. have you tried feeding with just actinics on? is there more aggressive fish eating?

bullit67
03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the help everyone I do use Garlic guard every time I feed as I said in my original post I have tryed with and without garlic just in case it was throwing him off I put sea weed in the tank every couple of days and he dosent seam to eat that either. As for setting up another tank to grow food for him that is the last thing I need somting else to maintain:) alot of reef keepers have naso tangs so there must be somthing that he will eat. At this point I think he must be eatting somthing I have had him for a week now and he still has lots of energy so he must be getting some food just dont know what

Doug

marie
03-11-2007, 04:50 PM
For the first year and a half that I had him, my Naso would only eat Nori. He stayed fat so it must of been enough :biggrin: