PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated Newbie - Where are the Product reviews??

Norstar
03-07-2007, 01:47 AM
I am in the process of planning my first reef tank. I have been out of the hobby for about 20 years (where has the time gone...). Holy smokes, how things have changed!!! Now that I am married, I only have one crack at getting the proper equipment I need. You know, buying a $500.00 skimmer, only to find out that it's the wrong one (you married guys know what I'm talking about - :wink: ).

Here is my dilema. I am being bombarded with a bunch of brand names that don't necesarilly mean anything to me :neutral: . I am looking at all the manufacturer's web sites, and gathering as much information as possible from a variety of sources. However, a lot of the info I'm seeing, seems to be glossed over. If so and so manufactures a wignut, I nice to know if it's really a piece of junk or not.

For example, I would love to buy a Euro Reef RC 500 skimmer, but would a Euro Reef RS 250 be just as good?

My new tank will be a Seastar 350 gal.- 90 x 32 x 30

So here is what I think I need so far:

Sump: 100 gal or more
RO/DI: Aquasafe 100 gpd
Skimmer: Euro Reef RS 250 or RC 500
Lighting: 4 @ Hamilton DE Pendants 400w MH
Marine Tech Calcium Reactor
Reefflow Dart Pump

I don't want to drive a Cadillac, but a Chevy or Chrysler 300 C would be nice.

Any ideas where I can get some honest opinions about what I need, and some non-glossy info about the products?

Thanks!

Camille (Norstar)

Dale
03-07-2007, 05:30 AM
Hi Camille.

Welcome back to the hobby and here's my advice for a happy marriage: burn the receipts!

I can't help you on the skimmer question but I can give you some pointers on the other stuff.

Rather than rely on product blurbs (everyone says theirs is the best) try looking for products that are used consistantly without complaint ie: the Dart is a commonly used, reliable pump). But the best advice is to start off with a vision of the completed tank. What will it look like? Will it be a fish only, soft coral or a SPS dominated reef. Each has it's own equipment requirements.

For a FO tank any lighting will do. Usually FO tanks are highly stocked (to make up for the lack of colour that corals provide) so a beefed up filtration system would probably be required.

For a soft coral dominated tank you could get away with Banks of T-5's, CF's or MH (metal halides). I don't think you would need 400's though (there are pros and cons to that much intensity). With T-5's and CF's you get less intensity but you also avoid a lot of heat issues so it's a trade off to consider.

For a SPS dominated tank you will need MH's and with a 30" depth good penetration is required. One note* with 4 - 400W bulbs going you will lose a ton of water via evaporation. Save yourself a lot of work by installing an automated water top up system. For that set up I would think of it as a necessary piece of equipment. You can run this right off of a dedicated R/O unit or have a reservoir under the stand that is filled from one. As well you will have to plan water cooling strategies for the summer months unless you have AC. This can be accomplished by reducing the photoperiod (not so good if you are right into SPS), running evaporative fans (be prepared for lots of top ups), or by installing a chiller.

If the R/O unit is for the tank only you won't need 100GPD (but you can have one if you want). Almost everyone initially fills the tank with tap water and after that it is really only needed for evaporation loss and the occasional partial water change.

The dart is a good choice for a return pump, reduced to 1" or 3/4" for two returns to the tank. Most tanks of that size will run a second closed loop using a dart as well for more flow.

You will not need the CA reactor initially. If you are planning a SPS dominated tank (or a heavily stocked softie tank), and when the corals begin to fill in and demand Ca that would be the time it is needed. Initially you can meet your Ca demands by performing partial water changes which has the added benefit of removing waste as well.

You really don't need a 100G. sump (but you can have one if you want). 75 is usually enough for every thing you need to stick in it and for water backflow (when the pumps stop) if the plumbing is done right. Usually bigger sumps have higher sides that make it awkward to work in. Rather than a big sump you should aim at a well designed one. This should include at least:
A chamber for the overflow drains
Room for the skimmer (make sure it can be removed and serviced when under the stand
A set of baffles to remove microbubbles (from the skimmer and overflows)
A chamber for the return pump.

Some people put refugiums, cryptic zones, deep sand beds etc... in the sump but the above list is the basics.

Of course all this is just my own opinion and rather basic but it should serve to start the discussion and give you some points to ponder. Everybody has a different slant to equipment and there is often two right ways to do something. I would suggest however that when a suggestion is made, to inquire what type of sytem it is used on and what the reasoning is. What works in one application might be a complete waste of money in another and someone should be able to justify its usefulness.

Good luck!

albert_dao
03-07-2007, 07:21 AM
What city are you in? Might help you to inquire as to which are the most helpful stores in your area.

That said, your list of equipment looks good to me, but I'd reconsider the lighting options and get advice on how to plan out your sump.

(Don't ask me though, I'm TERRIBLY biased, lol).

niloc16
03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
i agree with dale's essay. good insight dale. one opinion though is i would second guess the DE 400w. do some research into the quality of the DE 400w bulbs. i would strongly suggest going to SE 400w because of the wider range of bulbs that will be available and at this time higher quality ones compared to the DE. dont hesitate to ask for opinions on specific equipment when you narrow it down to a couple brands or styles. for the most part your list seems good so far. like dale said i would watch the height of the 100g sump unless you have alot of height in your stand.

StirCrazy
03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
with a 30 or 32" depth the only lighting option you have is to go with 400 MH single ended bulbs or 250 watt single ended bulbs being run off of a non electronic HQI ballast. you can fiddle with PCs, VHOs, or T5s but they will only be god for supplemental lighting at that depth. now if your fish only yest any of the above lights will work, but I would recommend going with VHO. T5s are starting to show a shorter life span, and PCs while a little more powerful than VHOs have a greater color shift over the life of the bulb.

Steve

R∑C∑T∑P
03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
A newbie say hello to all here.

Good to read. Any way, my question is more "newbie" er..., Where can I find a seastar tank like the one mentioned here? I'm living in Vancouver. Thanks for advice.

Cheers,

R∑C∑T∑P

hawk
03-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I have a similar sized tank (96x30x30) I too would love the ER500, but the price scares me away. Generally the stated manufacturers capacity is always on the very low side. Although ER does give both a realistic capacity and a comparative capacity. The realistic for the RS250 is 250g, too small for your tank. A new skimmer on the market is a ATI Bubblemaster. A large tank version is in the $800-$900 range. It looks good and the reviews I have read look positive. I believe Proline is the distributor and is a sponsor here. If you have the space for a 100g sump I would definitely go for it. I use a 100g Rubbermaid and like having the extra room. It comes in handy for acclimating livestock and holding extra live rock and other uses.. I would use ro from the beginning. Any nasties from tap water will cause problems for along time. When I was looking into lights I didn't see any advantage to de and went with se.

hawk
03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
A newbie say hello to all here.

Good to read. Any way, my question is more "newbie" er..., Where can I find a seastar tank like the one mentioned here? I'm living in Vancouver. Thanks for advice.

Cheers,

R∑C∑T∑P

I believe Seastar is a manufacturer in Victoria. Call them for retailers in Van.