PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Epoxy

SJSobczyk
03-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Just wondering what people use for underwater epoxy. I have searched but i dont have any rock solid answers. I have heard something about one at Home depot? Can anyone vouch for this?

Thanks

Steve

justinl
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
i think the safest thing you can do is go to you lfs and see what they stock. If you buy from home depot or something, its a bit of a gamble as to whether or not it's aquarium safe unless it says so on the bottle.

calkrog
03-06-2007, 08:22 PM
i get my stuff from golds in calgary. its supposed to look like coraline but lets just say im hoping it will be covered soon. works great though.

adidas
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
i get my stuff from golds in calgary. its supposed to look like coraline but lets just say im hoping it will be covered soon. works great though.

this stuff? http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/supplies.php?product_ID=MC-DELEP

danny zubot
03-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Thats the stuff I have. It works well but some of my corals are really sensitive to it.

Rippin
03-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Yes, be careful with the Aquascape Milliput Epoxy. If you overwork it in the aquarium your corals might react harshly to it. Last time I did it the majority of the corals in the tank started spewing mucus - either byproduct or chem warefare - I don't know. Carbon took care of it.

calkrog
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
thats the stuff i've been using. i try to not play around with it too much in the tank. it seems to cloud up the water around the spot if you work it too much in the tank. just get it nice and warm in your hands when you mix it so its nice and soft and then its easy to place without any ill effects. IMO.

Quagmire
03-08-2007, 12:17 AM
I find the purple stuff takes too long to set,and dosn't work as well as the white stuff.If Im trying to attach a frag or rock on a verticle surface,the purple wont hold long enough for the epoxy to set and the piece always falls off when Im not looking.The white stuff will hold,and you can mold it in the tank without it disinigrating, but looks awfull for the first month or so.

GrimReefer
03-08-2007, 12:40 AM
after spending so much time and money on your reef, do you really want to take a chance on something you can get from a hardware store? especially after reading these responses about an epoxy that was designed for aquariums, i sure wouldn't. i've used the marineland holdfast epoxy before with no ill results.