PDA

View Full Version : Tangs....should they be in atleast 50g tank?

supersmile
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Should yellow tangs be kept in a tank of atleast 50g??? That is what I heard or else they won't really be happy. Do tangs pick at soft corals?

krisalexander
03-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I personally had a small yellow tang in a 33G and I have seen and heard of alot of others doing the same thing. They dont usually nip at any corals, at least I have never had this happen.

Kris

ed99
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
50 gal may be small for a grown yellow- Liveaquaria.com suggests 100 gal minimum for a yellow tang. Tank size for tangs is often a contentious issue so you will get some differing opinions on this board. Tangs are active fish that swim a lot and can grow large (though yellows are among the smaller of the species). If your tank is too small it will lead to stress and a shorter life span. Water quality can also become a problem as these fish eat (and then poop) a lot.

Tangs won't pick at soft corals though- if they are picking at rocks it is for algae.

kwirky
03-05-2007, 07:03 PM
how bout a 4' long 120g? heard mixed reviews.

BlueNWhite
03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
how bout a 4' long 120g? heard mixed reviews.

Like ed99 says, a 50 is on the small side, but at least you have it on the long side of a 50 (sorry, I just realized that I mixed up the posts here). So if your 50 is a long style, you will be better off than if it is a tall 50. If you do decide to get one, make sure you go with a small one. At least the yellow is one of the smaller of the tangs. It's also one of the hardiest in terms of tangs. If you are sticking with a 50g, then I would suggest you stay away from the tangs that are more prone to ich since they will more likely get stressed in a smaller tank.

Good luck.

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Everyone has different idea's on the ideal or the minimum size of a tank for Tangs. Different tangs grow to different sizes as well so try to keep that in mind. I've got a small sailfin in my 60 cube and I don't see a problem with the tank size for the fish even as it grows but I know some people will think I'm crazy for keeping it in a 24x24 tank.

Doug