PDA

View Full Version : shipping from the US

rossb
11-20-2002, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct location to ask this but...has anyone ordered dry goods from the states and ... what was the aproximate cost to ship to canada. I was thinking of ordering a few things from the states (like a halide bulb) and was trying to get an estimate what it would cost ...including things like a custom broker, the real..as apposed to quoted.. shipping cost. The item is about $120 USD and not very heavy.

and advice would be gratefully received

Delphinus
11-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Not too uncommon to order dry goods from the U.S., I think everyone does it at least once. You will basically be nailed for GST, there's no getting around that. Whoever is the carrier will charge something different for customs brokerage. Last time I did anything like this, US/Canada Post charged about $10 flat-rate, and UPS charged $30 flat-rate. That means for something small and less than $100, it's better to wait the extra amount of time and just have it posted.

The other thing I don't like about UPS, is, they only deliver Monday to Friday between 8:00 and 5:00. No evenings or weekends. Well if you have a day job, and if a signature is required (which I think all packages through UPS do), then you end up being screwed. You'll have to get to the UPS depot to pick up your package, but you first have to call them and say "please hold box for pickup". To which they'll reply with something like "Sigh ..... That means we have to take the box off the truck, and that can take up to 3 days." In the meantime, they will try to deliver the package 3 more times in the next 3 days after you make that call, leaving a nasty little note on your door each time "If you will not be home when we come, then you must call and ask for a 'hold for pickup'." You will then have to go to the depot up in the N.E., approximately 10 minutes before the shift ends the trucks come in and unload for the night, your best bet is to try and catch your package at that moment. Of course, they never appreciate you showing up 10 minutes before they close because they want to go home, and so they're cranky.

I have personally given up on UPS altogether. I would much rather take my chances with the mail. At least you know what kind of "customer service" to expect with the postal service. Actually at least they let you pick up a package at the post office when you're not supposed to be at work!!!

I suppose another option is, if your workplace doesn't mind, and you have no option but UPS to deliver the package, maybe you could have the package delivered to work. I'm technically not allowed to do this that's why I never tried this (which could have potentially saved me many trips to the UPS depot in the past).

Bob I
11-20-2002, 04:30 PM
I have ordered from AH Supply (a lighting manufacturer), and Nanoreef.com. They were set up to ship to Canada, and I just paid GST at time of delivery. You might try Andrew at Aquarium Pros. He has accounts at Hello Lights, and Champion Lighting. From what I have seen he charges about the same price as advertised on the American sites, and no worry about shipping.
Bob

rossb
11-20-2002, 04:45 PM
Is this the same person as AJ at aquarium pro's? I think he might be busy as he has not responded to my last couple of emails. I was looking at the big als and I can get what I need for 220 bucks CDN or 134 US. I'm trying to figure if I should just bite the bullet or try from a US supplier.

Bob I
11-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Yes the same guy. There have been problems with email before. He is changing locations. I have an email from him that may have a phone number. I will look, but I have to go to work, so it may be later.
Bob

Canadian
11-20-2002, 08:35 PM
The last time I ordered something that was shipped by UPS there was no requirement for a signature Delphinus. In fact, there have been occassions where I have had packages containing electronics shipped by UPS and they just left them outside the front door if I wasn't home - one time an idiot in brown left a package in the garden while it was raining for some reason.

Delphinus
11-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Hmmmm. Well, I guess that sounds a little better, but then again, also a bit worse to leave stuff out in the rain...

Was there any shipping amount due on the package (i.e., customs brokerage or package send P.O.D. or anything like that)?

reefburnaby
11-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I never ship anything with UPS Ground if I can help it. I have had nothing but problems with them. I like shipping through USPS and it works out pretty good. The way I look at it, the $5 charge for importing is basically the COD on the GST/PST. I trust USPS more than I trust UPS Ground. If you like to ship through UPS, then try UPS Expedite (Air post). It costs the same as ground since you don't need to pay brokerage, but I would check with UPS to make sure that is the case. It has been a long time since I used UPS Air.

The cost for a $120 USD item will be around ~$220 to $240 CAD.

- Victor.

fishboy
11-21-2002, 02:32 AM
I've had very good luck with USPS if you can wait a couple of extra days. If you need something in a hurry then Fedex to a business location is the best bet, IMO. USPS has an "express" service that is resonably priced and seemed to be fairly quick(less than a week in my case).

The problem with UPS/Purolator etc. is by the time you pay the shipping and brokerage you generally pay the same price as supporting a Canadian supplier. Add to that the hassle of dealing with UPS or Purolator and it's just not worth it. Also by the time you actually get your package from UPS it generaly will have been quicker to mail it through USPS.