PDA

View Full Version : Went to T&T today and found somethingusefull i think:)

findingnemo1
03-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Hi there.

While wondering around T&T supermarket today i found bags of frozen seafood. Ingredients are:squid,octopus,mussels,clams and shrimp. After speaking with someone they stated that are indeed uncooked and nothing has been added to it. I figured what a good way to make your own fish food for 2.99 a bag. Anyone tried this?
Also they had sea snails that looked like the nassiurus snails. Would these be the same ones?

Thanks Craig

Justusfish
03-05-2007, 12:55 AM
I'd be curious to know the answer to this one myself! Great deal if it's appropriate food.

Quagmire
03-05-2007, 01:11 AM
When I make fish/coral food,I use the same.Frozen uncooked mixed seafood with nothing added.I also add shrimp,cyclopese,nori,and silversides.

justinl
03-05-2007, 01:20 AM
I know i have to make SURE that it is uncooked with NO additives/flavouring. But what about preservatives? Anyone know if that's ok?

oh heads up: you can get nori from the supermarket too at a price that is cheaper than at an lfs. agin no additives/flavouring.

briansmyth
03-05-2007, 03:36 AM
The frozen seafood works just fine - I and others have been picking it up at Extra Foods and Real Canadian Superstore - just need to make sure that some of the pieces are chopped small enough for your critters

sick lid
03-05-2007, 05:01 AM
here is a recipe- can use with or without gelatin

3 packages of seafood medley
1 handful of raw shrimp
1 teaspoon processed garlic
Handful of chopped Nori
1/8 cup of quality flake
1/4 cup of Otohime C2
4000mg Salmon and fish oils
9 grams Naturose
6 grams FAF’s Mineral mix
9 grams FAF’s Vitamin mix
3/4-1 cup RODI water or ASW

1. Separate the calamari from the seafood medley and chop it up first using a food processor.
2. Add the rest of the seafood medley minus the cooked shrimp and substitute raw shrimp. Chop well. (Eventually the food will stop moving as it's frozen, starting to thaw and sticking together)
3. Allow 1-2 hours for the processed frozen mixture to thaw.
4. Add garlic, Naturose, Mineral Mix, Vitamin Mix and chopped Nori. Empty the Salmon and fish oils caplets into the mixture.
While blending:
5. Add 1/2 cup of RODI water.
6. Add flake and CE
7. Slowly add remaining water till the mixture has a nice gloopy consistency
8. Spread onto cookie sheet and freeze overnight. (I’m using silicone muffin trays to give me about 65grams per feeding)

You may also add:
Any fresh raw fish (add towards the end of step 2)
Beef heart

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2007, 04:05 AM
I'd avoid the snails, they would probably be a cold water snail and I think you'd find it disasterous to try to acclimate them to a tropical tank.

Doug