PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cycling Question

j83
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey Folks,

I am setting up a second reef tank and am waiting for it to cycle. I have used some LR from my current tank as well as some cured LR from the LFS - about 40-50 lbs in total so far. Upon doing tests a few days ago it looked as if my tank started to cycle (the ammonia was high, and I was also detecting nitrates - is the nitrates present normal?), today I tested the water again and the ammonia is zero, nitrite is zero, and the nitrate is the same as it was a few days ago. As it looks right now, my nitrite cycled in one day, is that possible? Is it possible that the tank cycled in less than a week? I put all the rock in last saturday. Any other suggestions as to what is happening?

Thanks is advance!

Der_Iron_Chef
03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
It's always possible to have a very short cycling process if the live rock is already all cured. I would test it several times in the upcoming week to ensure the ammonia levels are still down, and to monitor the nitrates. And then I'd let it cure for another few weeks (at least) just to be sure!

Just my two cents' worth.

andresont
03-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Tanks are cycling many times in first year before they become stable. I would not risk getting fish in any of my tanks before 3 month mark and that is still very early regardless of the age of the live rocks. Start with something you dont' have to feed, but wanted anyway.
JMHO

marie
03-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Here is an interesting read for everybody just setting up a reef tank :biggrin:
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23945-9-1.aspx

untamed
03-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Because you added LR from your existing setup, that LR had a bacterial colony capable of handling some level of Ammonia and Nitrite. It's likely that the existing population grew quickly to handle the new Ammonia (from the new LR) and you will see a rapid cycling process.

It also depends on how bad that new LR was. I have personally added new LR to an existing system and caused no measurable cycle at all because the new rock was in such good shape and the existing LR handled whatever was added. (Adding high quality new LR isn't really much different than adding an additional large fish)

ron101
03-05-2007, 05:41 AM
The start up of a cycle from scratch is the slowest part. If you start with a partial bacterial colony, like with your existing LR, then the cycle times can be much lower. Think of it this way, if bacteria double every 10 mins, it will take longer to get to one million if you start with only one versus if you start with 10,000.

The bacterial colony will grow (or shrink) to the available ammonia supply. If your tank has finished cycling and then you leave it empty for a couple weeks, the colony may well decrease. Keep this in mind before you throw a bunch of fish in there.

niloc16
03-05-2007, 06:03 AM
marie that was an awesome link. thanks for posting that. sorry to butt in here

j83
03-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the great link Marie - good read! I wasn't planing on adding fish for a while anyways, but it didn't make sense that it cycled so fast. Thanks everyone for the feedback! Patience is obviously a virtue in this hobby.

Jay