PDA

View Full Version : Help with lighting

Todd
03-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I picked up a new actinic bulb last night as I have been running regular fluorescent bulbs since I upgraded tanks (in addition to the MH). However it doesn't want to fire for me. As far as I understand my ballast should be able to run one of these bulbs. The ballast is wired for to run two bulbs right now, but I only put the new one in and took the others out.

This is the ballast: WH7-120-L Workhorse 7 Electronic Ballast (http://www.prolighting.com/wo7elba12loc.html)

and this is the bulb: Coralife VHO Actinic (T12) (http://www.esuweb.com/products/144Coralife_Marine_VHO_Fluorescent_Lamps_Marine_VH O_Fluorescent_Lamps_48in_ACTINIC_BLUE_03_FLUORESCE NT_LAMP_110_WATT_VHO_T12.htm)

Does my ballast not work for this bulb, or is it the way it is wired? Any help?

X-Treme
03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
If the ballast is designed to run two bulbs then you should have TWO bulbs in place for them to fire if it's anything like normal flourescent lighting.

pinhead
03-04-2007, 04:36 PM
The workhorse will fire one VHO T12. Here is a link to all the wiring diagrams http://www.fulham.com/Detail_BallastClass.php?ID=WH

Here is your specific diagram:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/zippy1140/wire12.gif

Todd
03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks for that info Pinhead. I Tried to re-wire it, but I still couldn't get my new bulb to fire (old regular bulb works fine). The only thing that I think I could be doing wrong is with the red wires (The yellow side is pretty strait forward, as one of the sockets was wired with the jumper already). I understand that three red go into one wire, and one is not used; BUT how do I get the now one wire (made of three red) to split back into two to attach to the socket?

This is what I tried:
1) Attaching two red wires to one side of the wire running into the socket, and one into the other side of the wire running into the socket.
2) Attaching all three red wires to both sides of the wire running into the socket.
3) Attaching three red wires together and then splitting it into two wires and attaching those wires to the wires that run into the socket. (This is the one that I think should work!)
4) Attaching all four red wires to both sides of the wire running into the socket.
5) Attaching two red wires to one side of the wire running into the socket, and attaching the other two to one side of the wire running into the socket.

Any suggestions? Is it possible that the new bulb is not working?

StirCrazy
03-05-2007, 10:30 PM
the wh7 will fire two VHO no problem using only two red wires. or you can use 3 or all 4. just like the yellow wire when you put all your reds togeather you need to make a jumper to use both pins. what end are you using? If you use all 4 wires you will over drive the VHO, more light but it does shorten the life of them to about 8 months. with 2 wires I have used mine for almost 2 years. Actinic bulbs are just for visual apearance and when you run them with MH the MH puts out more actinic energy then the VHO could ever hope to so don't fall for the fish stores telling you to change them every 6 months as that would be an absolute waist of money, but a good sales tatic for the store.

If you can get the bulb to light I would take it back and ask them to try light it in one of there fixtures.

Steve

Todd
03-06-2007, 03:08 AM
Thanks Steve. I figured that it must be the bulb. I am going to take it back tommorow. Maybe just pick up some NO actinics instead. I don't really need the light for light (as I have alot of MH over the tank), but more for evening / morning viewing when the halides are off.

pinhead
03-06-2007, 03:21 AM
From what I have read from you have tried, you are splitting your red wires to so each of the pins on the bulb are getting different wires.

Both pins get all three red wires and on the other side of the tube, both pins get the one yellow. To do this, look carefully at the jumper diagram. Both sides of the socket are jumpered together and the single wire out of the socket is attached to the 3 wires from the ballast with a wire nut (marrette).
Check that the sockets are jumpered together properly with a multimeter. If your ballast is functional, this will work. I tried the wiring diagram with my workhorse and even though, it looked fine, my jumpers were not making contact.

This is what I tried:
1) Attaching two red wires to one side of the wire running into the socket, and one into the other side of the wire running into the socket.
2) Attaching all three red wires to both sides of the wire running into the socket.
3) Attaching three red wires together and then splitting it into two wires and attaching those wires to the wires that run into the socket. (This is the one that I think should work!)
4) Attaching all four red wires to both sides of the wire running into the socket.
5) Attaching two red wires to one side of the wire running into the socket, and attaching the other two to one side of the wire running into the socket.

Any suggestions? Is it possible that the new bulb is not working?

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Just a heads up, I used to buy actinics from albrite, I think I paid $11 for a NO 48in T12, heck of a good deal. You said you may just go with NO so I thought I'd put that out there for you.

Doug

Todd
03-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Just a heads up, I used to buy actinics from albrite, I think I paid $11 for a NO 48in T12, heck of a good deal. You said you may just go with NO so I thought I'd put that out there for you.

Doug

I looked them up online, they have an office in Victoria. Do they sell bulbs in small quantities there?

StirCrazy
03-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I looked them up online, they have an office in Victoria. Do they sell bulbs in small quantities there?

you can buy a couple NO actinic bulbs there. you are looking for the philips 03 actinic, and how ecer long you want. will be 18.00 each or maybe more now.

Steve