PDA

View Full Version : Any others that have Cold water aquariums?

Ticketyboo
03-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm just seeing if there are any others out there that have a cold water aquarium? I have one and collect species from local waters when diving and would like to know if anyone else has tips or experiences to share.

silver arrowana
03-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi, what is the temp in C you kept your cold water species in ???

because I had a cold water tank before and not much success with it especialy with shrimps.

Thank

Ticketyboo
03-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I am simulating the temp of the water at present, so its set at 8 degrees Celcius just now. Here are some pics of whats in my tank as i was collecting them.

krisalexander
03-04-2007, 07:17 PM
a little of topic, can u post some full shots of ur tank, that is a sweet idea..

thanks

Kris

justinl
03-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I want to set up a coldwater tank in the future because i am a little on the broke side at the moment. WHEN i do set it up though two things i want to put in are grunt sculpins because they are the cutest things ever and spiny pacific lumpsuckers because they are the most awkward looking fish ever. oh and i wouldn't mind a giant pacific octopus either.

Ticketyboo
03-04-2007, 07:51 PM
I will take a pic of my tank as soon as. They pics on my thread are using an underwater camera, and it doesnt do so well on the surface. I have a sailfish sculpin in my tank and its stunning..... i was after some buffalo sculpin but i think its too big for my tank hence why i need a bigger tank... anyone want to donate me one?? Oh and also im switching from Glass to Acrylic due to the cold water, im getting alot of condensation on the outside.

For those of you who do want to start a cold water tank, give me a shout and we can do diving for some species or i can collect for you if you wish.

I did come accross a 4 inch red octopus a few months ago when diving in the kelp, was so tiny and cute, but i dont know enough about keeping an octopus yet. I also had a dive at porteau cove and came across a 6 foot octopus... try sticking this in your tank.....

justinl
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
That's actually exactly what I had in mind. I work at the vancouver aquarium (have you ever been?) and we have a giant octopus (trinity) that is about 5 feet tip to tip but is only about 2 years old apparently. I played with and hand fed her yesterday... that was amazing.

as for octo requirements, they require perfect H2O quality with minimal variations. no strong intakes (or just cover them with mesh). and because they are escape artists a lid or a mesh fence that is supported by pvc. They can't grip the mesh or ,for some reason, the pvc. not enough to escape anyways

kwirky
03-05-2007, 04:54 PM
that anenome looks susiciously like aiptasia :biggrin: Heard they can survive in those temperatures lol

Ticketyboo
03-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Im going for more species tomorrow... will keep you updated and send more pics.... as for that annonemie... they oceans covered with them, can they survive in the tropics as well as cold water?

Dale
03-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Hi ticketyboo.

I've been experimenting on and off with a coldwater/temperate system for about a year and a half now. Here is a link to my thread. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28466&highlight=temperate
As of now I have suspended the SW tank and am housing coldwater FW fish in the system instead. I did this because the set up became more complicated than I anticipated and I want to work out some stocking kinks and expand on the system. By stocking FW fish I can keep the tank running and track my temps through the summer. I intend to build a much larger refugium to breed microfauna and as a means of nutrient conversion. I was thinking of surge tanks for low heat input circulation but might also work on airlift pumps instead. I am also toying with the idea of a Jaubert/Monaco style filtration system if I can determine that enough dentrivores are available at lower temps.
Even with every known way to reduce heat inputs (no submersed pumps, cool lighting, sump on concrete slab) the system will require a chiller to keep true temperate species like the ones you are suggesting. I have tried everything to drive my temps down passively but by summer I expect the temps to be in the mid to high 60's. My current tank temp is 56*F.
Stocking is complicated and requires a well thought out plan. Originally I built a large skimmer that works very well but I then found it to be starving my clams, oysters, barnacles and other filter feeders. On the other hand many meat eating inverts that I like (starfish, sunstars) and fish create a lot of waste so skimming is required. 6 of one - half dozen of the other?
Many of our local fish will also only take live food so one has to be prepared to provide phyto plankton, zoo plankton, copepods and other microflora and fauna either by live capture, expensive store bought or a very mature system.
What are your fish feeding on BTW?
There is a thread on RC that deals with this subject as well. I'll try to edit in that link.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=890751
Look for me out in the big pond soon as I am taking a SCUBA course next month :mrgreen:

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Best diving locally is Vancouver Island, Campbell River, Barcley Sound, Gabriola pass, wow... I sure miss it all. I used to be an Instructor in Vancouver, saw lot's of people go through the courses, most loved it. We really do have some excellent sites here, sadly I've seen a lot of sites die off as homes are being built and sewage is being dumped raw into our waters.

Doug

Ticketyboo
03-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Hey, thanks for the lengthy reply.

I got some stunning nudebranches today on my dive... although im not sure whether that was a good idea or not... but its all experimental just now. If you want to go dive let me know... im a DM and could show you the sites...

I also got a buffalo scupin but i lost it as my collection net was too loose :-( it was a cute fish.... 46 degrees today though and i was cold so i called the dive.

pics to follow....

krisalexander
03-06-2007, 06:15 AM
How much are diving courses?

Kris

justinl
03-06-2007, 06:48 AM
I did my recreational dive courses for 300$ for the lessons. Plus another 300$ for personal dive gear (fins, mask, snorkel, gloves, boots) that you keep yourself. You can get more expensive nicer looking gear but used gear like mine works just fine.

In April Im going to start my "scientific diving" with the aquarium... now that's what i call job satisfaction.

Ticketyboo
03-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Also you can volunteer at the vancouver aquarium to be a diver which allows you to dive in the tanks with the sharks etc... minmum of a rescue diver cert is required.

krisalexander
03-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Sweet
I have always wanted to dive, and I do a lot of travelling but cost is a big thing. That aquarium thing sounds pretty sweet.

Kris

justinl
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't think we would let a volunteer dive with the sharks... we have aquarists to do that. However I know that you can volunteer dive for our research department. I think all you need is a recreational dive cert. No need to get a rescue dive cert.

hey do you think we could see a few pics of your nudis? I love those guys. I think the alabaster nudi is numero uno on my list.

Ticketyboo
03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
My collegue completed her open water skills test and induction at the vancouver aquarium a few weeks ago and informed me that after 6 months, you do get the opportunity to dive with the sharks at the shows. Hence why the mimimum certification required is a rescue diver, so if anyone wants to volunteer for this, let me know and i will forward you contact details of who to contact.

My nudy banch .... i can never spell the damn thing.... and the others dont sit still much for me to take a good pic..

Knobsmith
03-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Glad to see someone has a cold water tank working. I am in the planning stage and would love some advice.

Are you using a glass aquarium? If so, do you have any condensation problems?

Attached are the preliminary plans for my plywood/epoxy tank. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

The few local dives that I have done are the reason for this project. The waters here are amazing!

Ticketyboo
03-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi, yes im using glass and have major condensation problems during the evening and night where the room temperature fluctuates alot more.

Im having to switch to acrylic now, so am looking into getting one.

More details to follow.