PDA

View Full Version : firefish

justinl
03-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I would like a firefish and ive heard that they are quite the jumpers. However I don't wan't a lid that will cover up the top of my lid because I don't want to impede gas exchange at the surface. So my other solution would be to raise the rim of the tank by putting up a make shift sort of fence. my question is how high should it be so that i can be sure my fish won't clear it?

sick lid
03-04-2007, 12:12 AM
you could use egg crate for a lid. It would look a little nicer than a fence around your tank

christyf5
03-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Firefish are resourceful and determined little critters. Eggcrate won't deter them. Mine managed to jump 5 inches above the waterline to make it through a small hole in my hood. I thought I was so careful....:neutral: I did have him for 3 years though, so it was 3 years of planning escape on his part :wink:

Skimmerking
03-04-2007, 01:18 AM
i had 4 fire fish and 2 purple fire fish all jumped from my 170 gal tank .. that was a expensive lesson $60 per purple fire fish and 20 per fire fish...:sad:

justinl
03-04-2007, 03:22 AM
whoa. these guys sound really determined. I think Ill go with the eggcrate lid and then get a canopy for my tank when i have the time to make it in the summer.

thanks for the input!

Borderjumper
03-04-2007, 06:07 AM
They can jump right thru the eggcrate. I bought a mesh reptile tank cover. It has smaller mest than eggcrate, but not so small the fish can jump thru.

sobe
04-05-2007, 03:05 AM
maybe construct some kind of lid using "gutter guard" material they have smaller holes than egg crate. I've seen in Home Depot they have the plastic type material but it's only about 6" or 8" wide but few meters in length you could just sew it together then make a frame type lid. It'll look ghetto but will prevent jumpers escaping and will still have a good area for air to come through. Just a suggestion