PDA

View Full Version : transporting 210 gallons of water!!!!

Justusfish
03-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Anyone know of a place I can rent clean 10 gallon buckets or have a novel idea of how to transport 210 gallons of water from one location to the next? I'm buying this guys established tank, with mature, beautiful fish, and want to bring the water with me as I think it would put less stress on the fish.

Please help!! It seems like an arduous undertaking and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

findingnemo1
03-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Where are you? Dependent on where you are i have sopme buckets you could borrow. I am getting ready to move my tank and someone had suggested lining a garbage can with a garbage bag. Putting it on the back of a truck and getting a ling house to siphon the water into the bucket and then tieing the bag closed to minimize water splashing around. Don't know if it would work but an i dea i suppose.

Justusfish
03-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm in Vancouver but that sounds like not a bad idea!

X-Treme
03-03-2007, 03:29 PM
This idea works GREAT! Moved MANY a tank this way.

albert_dao
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Why do you need to transport the water? Why not just mix new?

mark
03-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Might consider mixing up saltwater in buckets at the new location and have it heated and ready to add to the tank. Bring along some maybe but not all 210g.

Just acclimatize the fish as if were bring home from a LFS and adding to an established tank.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-03-2007, 04:53 PM
You would really "need" to bring home about 50% of the old water at the most. When I converted my fish room into my 220g, I made about 150g of new water & added in about 100g of the old water from the various tanks. That worked no problem at all. Even moved my seahorses/corals/fish in within a very short time afterwards.

Think of it as doing a big water change.

PM sent about some containers.

Anthony

albert_dao
03-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I don't even think you need to do that. I do 90% water changes on my tanks every couple of months with no ill effects.

KrazyKuch
03-03-2007, 11:35 PM
But I have found that removes alot of bacteria from the water that is needed

Quagmire
03-04-2007, 12:20 AM
What bacteria is free form in the water that isnt also on/in the rocks?

albert_dao
03-04-2007, 12:54 AM
But I have found that removes alot of bacteria from the water that is needed

Waste of time. We're talking an insignificant amount of bacteria here. It's like lighting a match to assist the gas furnace heat up a room :D

dunl
03-04-2007, 01:01 AM
I don't even think you need to do that. I do 90% water changes on my tanks every couple of months with no ill effects.

Albert is right. I got completely roasted on another forum for suggesting something like this, but I haven't ever found that fish had ill effects from doing this.

Pretend you are taking the fish home from the LFS. You won't be hurting the live rock, you won't be hurting the fish. Everything you need is on the rock.

Skimmerking
03-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Actually if you take all the rock and use it in your tank with new tank water as long as its the same temp and the same ph and salinity you shouldnt have a problem. Doug did it with his tank and no neg effects what soever. Hopefully Doug will chime in here to explain.

the bio load is in the rocks and shouldnt have any die off all the pods and creatures in the rocks is what makes the tank have life.. the bacteria is in the rocks remember I would may be bring back 50 gallons of water IMO that should work out good Like it was lready stated its like doing a huge water change.

marie
03-04-2007, 01:30 AM
The only reason you would need to transport any of the water is because making up 210 gallons of water would be time consuming, more expensive and a big pain in the butt. Reasons not to be taken lightly Imo :razz: :lol:

Justusfish
03-04-2007, 01:55 AM
MUCH appreciated, folks. I guess I figured the water was like gold, but if you're saying the bacteria is in the rocks, I'm all for that. Just less stuff to transport!!

Skimmerking
03-04-2007, 02:04 AM
WIth that Make sure that you are using the same rock from that tank when you move it. and ENSURE THAT ph,TEMP, AND SALinity is the same. THe rock is mature that is why you can do it.

justinl
03-04-2007, 04:00 AM
I would try the siphon method with a few siphons going simultaneously but keep in mind that that does require the bucket to be lower than the level of the tank. If you put the can on the ground and then lift the full bucket later that should work fine. Don't bother taking any more than 50% and position the intake so it sucks up water anywhere from the bottom to mid level in the tank. Less DOC's in the water you take that way.

I would take 40-50% just because that would simplify things like acclimation.