PDA

View Full Version : red mangrove pods

eposer
11-19-2002, 04:27 PM
I have just ordered 50 red mangrove pods with root buds.
I'm just waiting to hear back about when the will be shipped. If anyone is interested I'll have around 40 of them up for grabs @ only $10.00 each even after shipping and the cost of a phytosanitary certificate to bring them in from the US, way cheaper than getting them around here for $45 each. Let me know if you're interested and how many you'd like. The going opinion is one mangrove for every 10 gallons of tank water for complete filtration. Here's a short bit on mangrove/mud filtration http://www.garf.org/12/Mangrovefilter.html although you don't need the mud for the mangroves to do their job. I've had one growing in my sump for the past 6 months just to try them out. It has developed a large root system and is doing really well so I've decided to add another 10+ of them to my system. First come first serve, so let me know if anyone might want some.

Evan :D

Delphinus
11-19-2002, 04:36 PM
I'd for sure take a few! I've always wanted to get mangroves. Although I haven't a clue how I'd set it all up, but I'll figure something out. 8)

I almost bought some from www.tropicorium.com last time I was in Michigan. They had some incredible mangroves on some of their systems. We're talking trees growing out of lagoonal tanks! Of course, the whole facility is in a greenhouse, so that does tend leave many more options open.

Not that many people go to Michigan, but, if you ever feel yourself feeling sorry for yourself for being stuck in Detroit or Windsor some day, drive over to Romulus (basically a suburb of Detroit which was about an hour's drive from where I was at, I wasn't in Detroit proper, I was in Port Huron right across the river from Sarnia...). This place is soooo amazing! I wish we had an LFS like this in our area.

Canadian Man
11-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Hey Evan,
I will take 3 or 4 as well.
How do you plant them?
I guess I will look at the link.
Let us know when they arrive.

eposer
11-19-2002, 06:01 PM
The mangroves can be planted one of two ways. Either in a substrate(mud, argonite, crushed coral anything will do), or by floating them in a piece of styrofoam with the leaves sticking out the top and the roots left dangling below. I'll put together a complete list of web resources with all the info you will need before they arrive and post it here. Still not sure exactly when they'll arrive, should be 2 to 5 days from now though. I'll post when I know for sure.

Evan :wink:

Canadian Man
11-19-2002, 06:07 PM
Well one quick question.
My sump is a 75g tank with 1/3 of it partitioned off as a refugium.
The water is almost to the top of the tank, so 19" deep or so.

My question is can I just plant then on the bottom and they will grow up till they are out of the water?

Thanks

eposer
11-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Yes you can do this but it might take a while as the pods are ususally aroung 12" in length. I would reccomend growing them in small styrofoam blocks though. This will help to promote root growth as they extend towards the bottom rather than the stem growing towards the surface. More roots = more filtration. More stem = ummm.. well more stem.

Evan.

Canadian Man
11-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Cool, That makes sense.
Thanks.

Delphinus
11-19-2002, 06:28 PM
I've seen a couple setups. I don't know if some are better or worse though.

I've seen as Evan suggested, floating a piece of styrofoam with the roots under water and the plant part above the water.

I've also seen basically a mud sump with sand and just had the plants planted in there like any kind of pond plant. Just fed by a powerhead and drained back into the sump or main system.

What I also saw, that I thought was ingenious, was plastic eavestroughing (for roofs) hooked just underneath the water line, filled with sand and the plants planted in there. This has the advantage that the plants don't have to be very big to reach the water surface.

Now, here is something that might be contestable, I don't know. But from what I remember of my biology/botany -- unlike other plants, mangroves can deal with saltwater because of their ability to shed salt from their cells, via their leaves. This means, if I understand this correctly, that if you want your mangrove to live forever, at some point, the growing tip (where the leaves are) has to be out of the water. I know that at Wai's, he plants his completely submerged. I have not engaged in dialogue about this, but I think that this example is incorrect. Mangroves are not underwater trees. They are trees that grow at the water's edge in saltgwater rivers, or coastal lagoons (where the water level tends to be fairly non-wildly fluctuating). The roots are under the water level, but not the trees. Maybe parts are submerged during monsoon seasons, storms or tides but not permanently.

Jon, your setup with the sump in your basement is basically almost ideal since you can do just about anything. Heck even plant them in your sump/refugium as long as they get enough light. When they're small I imagine this is not too difficult. If they get to be tree size then probably being able to see sunlight would be the best, I'm not sure.

What I'd probably see what I can do in my case, is because I like the look of mangroves (as trees/bushes they are equally as nice, as, say, a scheffelera/arboricola or even a ficus), I will try to make some kind of floor display next to my main tank. Hopefully enough light from my tanks and nearby plant stand for photosynthesis, it would basically look like I have a plant pot next to my tank, except that instead of potting soil in the pot it will be saltwater and mud fed from the nearby sump. (I don't know this is all highly theoretical at this point. I haven't even had a chance to work on my reactor yet from last week! I don't move very fast. And of course everything has to have the management stamp of pre-approval...)

All my thoughts are based on my own observations and thoughts on the topic. I have not done any reading with respect to the boards and such. So everything I've said here is probably wrong. But, like I said I have thought about this idea a lot over the years. I've always been fascinated by mangroves and they are a really neat habitat in nature. I found them as neat to see in real life (with the mudskippers and the fiddler crabs and other neat guys who live in mangrove habitat) as I did the GBR when I was down there visiting my sister last year. (I truly envy my sister, she gets to live where there are these things and they're perfectly normal ... and her (and her family's) attitude is rather "ho-hum" .... and they're all jealous of me "because I can go skiing whenever I like." I guess the grass is always greener on the other side! I could care less about skiing but I'd sure love to be able to go snorkeling/diving in the GBR whenever I felt like it!!! Ahhhhh alas I digress... sigh .... I will shut up now .... :oops: :roll: )

Bob I
11-19-2002, 08:25 PM
I wonder if they would grow in my CPR refugium with just daylight from a East facing window?

Delphinus
11-19-2002, 08:42 PM
I'd sure be inclined to try it, Bob! 8) Sounds actually like an ideal setup. can't beat good old sunlight when it comes to plants.

I've heard that just a simple gro lux bulb (incandescent 75W or 150W) or similar is adequate. I imagine that being tropical plants, they will take as much light as you can throw at them so long as the leaves aren't getting burned...

Bob I
11-19-2002, 09:20 PM
Put me down for one then please.

rossb
11-20-2002, 04:48 PM
I'd be in for 3-4 also...plus I think I can sell my girl on this one...salt water trees... :D

Canadian Man
11-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Evan,
Any update on the mangroves?
I got my tank all set up and ready for them, well,,,,almost.

eposer
11-22-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm just confirming on exactly what paper work/permit is required for them to cross the border. I don't want to have them confiscated :cry:

I expect that they'll be here the middle to end of next week.
I'll let you all know as soon as I find out.

Evan.

Delphinus
11-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Hehe, I've done plant orders of CITES, I know what you're about to go through (actually as long as they are not CITES and as we discussed earlier they probably aren't) .... all you need is the phytosanitary certificate, um ... and, I think, a one-time importer number.

With that said, it probably will still be a PITA to go through the customs process. My favourite trick is the airport office "oh you need to go to the main customs office to do this" and the main office (some reasonably obscure location north of 32Av NE) telling you "oh we're about to close for the day if you want this done today you'll have to have it done at the airport" and then you go back to the airport and stand at their little counter until the customs officer finally acknowledges your existence and then says "sigh .... I guess I'll go get the paperwork so you can put all these little stickers here, with this special magic number written on it, and be sure to put one sticker onto each sheet. Ring the bell when you're done and I'll come back and check it."

I've only done this two or three times. By about the third time though, the customs guys were a little annoyed with me that I hadn't applied for a "permanent importer number" (or something) and a GST billing account. It all depends on who you get. Some guys are awesome, some guys can be a little cranky.

Of course, I am certain it will be much smoother and quicker for you. :)

Good luck anyways, and let us know how it goes...

AJ_77
11-23-2002, 02:30 AM
Man, I hope this is worth your trouble.
Red Mangrove pods. 6+ quantity. $12.95 each.
From J&L, but not as much fun as doing it yourself. :lol: --> :D --> :) --> :o --> :( --> :cry:

Alan

:wink:

Delphinus
11-23-2002, 05:37 AM
Actually it shouldn't be all that bad. The times I did it, it was a pain because they were orchids and orchids are all CITES.

Heck it's a learning opportunity too, right? :)

eposer
11-23-2002, 08:31 PM
I hope it'll be worth the trouble as well!
For 50 of them including shipping it'll be $200.00 less than from J&L(who have the best price on mangroves in canada) so I think it's worth the hassle :wink:

Delphinus
11-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Was it today that they are due to arrive? Good luck with brokering them, Evan! Hopefully it's all straightforward and all that.

Looking forward to hearing the update once it all happens ... :)

eposer
12-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Well It's finally all sorted out. The mangroves will be shipped out later this week(most likely thursday) and should be available to all of you who still want some on the weekend. I'll post again when I know exact shipping times and when to pick them up. :D :D :D

Evan.

Delphinus
12-09-2002, 05:36 PM
Any updates??? 8)