PDA

View Full Version : How to move this tank

findingnemo1
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
HI there.

We are getting ready to transfer to saskatoon in the next month or so. Now the worst part about this whole move is moving this tank there...Alive!!!

We have a 130 that is stocked with corals, 2 anemones and the fish list is as follows.

blonde male naso tang,regal angel(this one needs to make it as she eats and is healthy),potters angel,regal tang,keyhole angel,coral beauty,anthias,chromis,pair of saddleback clowns and pair of true percs.

So needless to say there are a few thati want to make sure they get there.
Now how do i do this? As i am in Calgary i can't just move the tank and set it up and then come back for the fish and corals that are in water.

I have 100 pounds of live sand and 140 pounds of live rock.
OMG i don't even know how to begin this

Should i see if i can fly the fish and qnemones and get them babysat untill the tank is running?
As i am assuming with a 6 hour drive i am going to have BIG die off and this tank will cycle again.

I dunno

Suggestions please!!!

Joe Reefer
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.thinkreef.com/article/11/details-of-my-long-distance-tank-move

findingnemo1
03-01-2007, 11:48 PM
That is a good idea but i have 130 gallons to move. The general idea is there but i am not able to take any of my water and i am going to apparently replace all my sand. And with a 6 hour drive there is bound to be die off on the rocks. So will there not be ammonia spikes that are going to harm the fish i take?

I dunno i may have to sell a bunch:(

marie
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Find out if there is an lfs in saskatoon that will look after your livestock for awhile when you get there and maybe they can also have some saltwater made up for you too :biggrin:

findingnemo1
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Oh the water idea is a good one. Never thought of that:)
I did talk to a lfs there and he did say he could take a few of my stuff. How big of an ammonia spike do we think i will have? I am thinking to put all the live rock in buckets and then cover with wet towels. If it isn't going to be to terribly bad and long i can take my hardier fish and use some prime and water changes to keep it minimal on them. Then take the ones that he can accomadate such as the anemones and clowns,the regal angel and the naso.

andsoitgoes
03-02-2007, 01:40 AM
6 hour drive ain't too bad - Josh Day had a long distance journal and a big tank, if I remember correctly.

Anyway - rubbermaid containers would be good to hold a lot of the Livestock in, all you'd need is heaters and some mini powerheads for that to keep the flow, and in inverter for the vehicle you're driving.

On top of that, you could do the same with the LR - get a heater, couple powerheads and you should experience MINIMAL die off...

BCOrchidGuy
03-02-2007, 04:29 AM
A lot of work but how about bag everything up, rubber maid containers with heat packs and as was suggested, have a LFS make up some water for you, moving 1500lbs of water seems like a lot of extra work on top of the lot of work you've already got to deal with.

Doug