PDA

View Full Version : How do you supplement calcium?

GrimReefer
03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
For those of you who use calcium supplements, what do you use? I've had a bottle of Aragamilk that I've used with good results. Anyone else use this? I'm wondering if it will suffice as I add more stony corals. I also have Seachem calcium and alkalinity supplements that I rarely use out of fear and lack of water testing. I want something simple, that doesn't require me to contantly test my water to get proper dosage. Any such thing exist?

Pescador
03-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Before my reactor I used a Warner two part supplement. Once you get the proper dosage you just add it daily.

You can also use kalk for your top off if you have enough evaporation.

Aragamilk should not work in theory because calcium carbonate should not dissolve in normal aquarium water. Otherwise the skeletons of corals that they have deposited would dissolve. It might have other benefits in the photosynthetic efficiency of corals. (see article below)
CA reactors use CO2 to lower the PH to dissolve the CAO3.

Check out these articles by Randy Holmes-Farley.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=481425

Moogled
03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Aragamilk user here too.

TRS
03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I tried Aragamilk, but found that my Alkalinity had a tendancy to increase. I now use Randy's 2 Part with no problems. The Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is purchased from the grocery store and the Calcium is from my local tire shop.

krisalexander
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I use C-balance made by two little fishes company, it is a two part, seems to work really well....

Kris

bubblepuffer
03-06-2007, 09:25 PM
You should talk to or message ChemMaster he sell the food grade good stuff . many user on this board got the reef supplement from him.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I've been using Liquid Reactor for years.

Todd
03-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Interesting article Pescardor. Thanks for that - will change how I use the rest of my Argamilk!

BCOrchidGuy
03-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I've used Liquid Reactor, I've used Purple up, I've used Turbo Calcium, I've used SeaChem Reef Calcium etc.. all with fair to good results. Now I'm going to try the RFH two part method, I just picked up my Dow Flake and Espom Salts today. If anyone does want to try the RFH stuff, Dow Flake is available at PK Building Supplies in Surrey, not sure of address but they are on 88th and the corner of 189th. A 20Kg bag of Dow Flake was $33 including tax.

Doug

Quagmire
03-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Be carefull with the epsom salts for Mg.If you use it alot you will raise your sulfate.This is from a RHF article found here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

1. Epsom salts (USP grade magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) is readily available in drug stores and is fairly inexpensive. The problem is that if this were used to raise magnesium by a large amount (or a small amount several times) the aquarium water would become enriched in sulfate. This enrichment may not be a problem for some aquaria, especially those using salt mixes already deficient in sulfate, or those that employ frequent water changes. Nevertheless, Epsom salts alone is not an ideal magnesium supplement.

Check out chemMaster he has a Mg additive that will work for you at a good price.I think its Magflake,but you will have to ask him.

kwirky
03-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Chem Master is littlesilvermax right?

I originally used kalk dripping, but I didn't have the time every evening to properly implement it. Levels went outa whack, and had to correct it with two part.

I've been using two part ever since. Got my calcium from littlesilvermax (good transaction by the way, recommend buying from him). I'll never go back. Was easy to make up the DIY two part, and 3 tablespoons in the sump each evening and that's it. Much easier than mixing kalk, waiting an hour for it to dissipate and then dripping it into the tank overnight.

It's cheap, and when I get a dual channel dosing pump setup this summer, I think it'll still be cheaper than a high quality calcium reactor, and easier to set up and tune.

castaway
03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I use Aragamilk with no problems

Reefer Rob
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Do you dissolve the Aragamilk in fresh water first? Adding it to salt water has been shown to actually lower calcium an carbonate levels. Just an aquarium industry cash grab IMO.

DanG
03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I just use purple up, 1 cap every other day keeps my levels at 410.

Murminator
03-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Liquid Reactor here :mrgreen:

andsoitgoes
03-07-2007, 09:49 PM
For the LR users - how often do you dose generally? I still suck at testing, so it doesn't really tell me much and I've heard it really can't be overdosed, however - any experiences to put my lil mind at ease? :)

bubblepuffer
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Yup, it's Littlesilvermax, the ChemMaster I referred to. I bought lot of Supplement from. Good service and good product. Not much proble and always end up with a smiling Tank

Chem Master is littlesilvermax right?

I originally used kalk dripping, but I didn't have the time every evening to properly implement it. Levels went outa whack, and had to correct it with two part.

I've been using two part ever since. Got my calcium from littlesilvermax (good transaction by the way, recommend buying from him). I'll never go back. Was easy to make up the DIY two part, and 3 tablespoons in the sump each evening and that's it. Much easier than mixing kalk, waiting an hour for it to dissipate and then dripping it into the tank overnight.

It's cheap, and when I get a dual channel dosing pump setup this summer, I think it'll still be cheaper than a high quality calcium reactor, and easier to set up and tune.

yakiwb2
03-08-2007, 12:14 AM
I just Kalk. It seems to work good enough. I make sure and use every last bit of evaporation water for kalk though.