PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Turbo Snails

Bartman
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I have been battling some red cotton algae for a little while.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30931

After some help identifying it I found this article on RC:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=745530&perpage=25&highlight=red%20cotton%20algae&pagenumber=1

It seems that people have had success handling this algae with Mexican Turbo Snails. Does anyone know if the Turbo Snails sold locally are the Mexican variety? I will be calling the LFS tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any insight.

Thanks,
Scott.

christyf5
03-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I think (and don't quote me on this) that Ocean Aquatics had some the last time I was there. I think the red banded turbos eat that stuff as well.

muck
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
You are correct only the Mexican Variety of Turbo Snails mow that stuff down. Chances are the ones at the LFS are the Mexican variety but best make sure by asking. :wink:

Bartman
03-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I think I have double posted, but...

I have called J&L, OA and other LFS here and they all say the Turbo Snails they carry are not the variety that will eat this stuff. Does anybody know where I can get them here? Failing that, where else could I get them?

Thanks,
Scott.

howdy20012002
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
I have the mexican turbos available.
However, unfortunately I am in Edmonton.
Not sure who in BC has them.
Neal

Chin_Lee
03-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I just picked up a mexican turbo from JL's 5 days ago. Double check with them

krisalexander
03-09-2007, 01:43 AM
try reef addictions paul has a bunch of snails in there...or hidden reef...

Kris

StirCrazy
03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I bought mine from J&L's when I had the problem.. I just called and asked if they were the mexican type.

Steve

Bartman
03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I just picked up a mexican turbo from JL's 5 days ago. Double check with them

I was at J & L on Thursday and they said the Turbos they bring in will not eat the stuff I identified. Does anybody know the Latin name for the correct Mexican Turbos?

Thanks,
Scott

Midknight
03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Picked some up at OA and will let you know how they work out.

Chin_Lee
03-10-2007, 03:35 PM
I was at J & L on Thursday and they said the Turbos they bring in will not eat the stuff I identified. Does anybody know the Latin name for the correct Mexican Turbos?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott
i acquired a small piece of rock with some red fluff on it so I bought one of the turbos from JL's last week (I just asked Jack for a mexican turbo and he sold me one). I kept putting it on the rock daily and now the rock is clean of the red stuff. I suggest buying ONE and testing it on a piece of rock. If you have lots of the red fluff, manual extraction will greatly assist the snails. Do a water change and use a siphon hose to suck out the big clumps. They come off easily and use a filter sock on your overflow drain into your sump if you have one to stop the spread of small pieces. If you don't have a sump, maybe a filter sock with a powerhead pumping into it will work. But make sure you wash out the filter sock daily to minimize nitrate buildup.
good luck

Bartman
03-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Chin, thanks for the note. I have been siphoning and, although Jeff at J&L said his turbos wouldn't eat this stuff, I bought 2 and have been putting them on the red stuff. We'll see how it goes.

Bartman
03-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I can confirm that the Turbo snails I got from J & L definately eat the red cotton algae. They will eat a section the same size as the snail in about 20 minutes. Unbelievable.

Chin_Lee
03-16-2007, 04:00 AM
told you so :biggrin: