PDA

View Full Version : GE Silicone I (All Purpose)

andsoitgoes
03-01-2007, 01:03 AM
OKay - this stuff has no mold inhibitors. It has nothing but 100% Silicone Rubber.

It's not "Bathroom", it's nothing other than straight, in your face silicone. However, on the back, it says in the "Not For" section, Aquariums.

I have searched high and low to find out what the heck the deal is, with NO luck. it's not clear anywhere, whether that's for sales purposes or whether it's due to an additive to the silicone.

I have seen a truckload of responses like this one:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21234&sid=f8dce139f89f79018537aef225ec8dd0

I just want a few more opinions. This stuff is no different than the "rona" brand, but of course the rona brand is completely broken when I tried to use it in the calking gun, and the other stuff is killing me trying to squeeze it out.

Help before my head a splodes, please!

BCOrchidGuy
03-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Someone on here told me to use the GE Silicone II, I used it and it's great, you can get it at Rona, same price to boot.

Doug

andsoitgoes
03-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Silicone II said the exact same thing. And it's not in my hands as we speak, I won't be able to get out and get it efore I need to finish the work on the sump :(

By the time I can, I won't be able to do it for yet another week or more..

KrazyKuch
03-01-2007, 03:18 AM
I have used both I and II and have never seen any ill effects with my tanks!! I think they just put that on their for legal resons!

Tangman
03-01-2007, 03:32 AM
I always use GE silicone 1

jslaney
03-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Only use Silicone I. Silicone II has an additive, it probably would not be the end of the world but best to stay safe.

In addition after cutting the top off the tube make sure you take a skewer and puncture the inner membrane by sticking it down the spout several times. If not its going to be very hard to squeez out and it might come out the back.

one minute of taping saves ten minutes of clean up and gives you a much cleaner look.

holmes on holmes wannabe.

BCOrchidGuy
03-01-2007, 03:51 AM
Who ever told me to use II said it's what the aquarium manufacturers use, like I said no problems.

Doug

Borderjumper
03-01-2007, 04:18 AM
I buy Mastercraft Window and Door Silicone at Crappy Tire. It says right on the back.."Ideal for use in Aquariums,allow 2-5days before filling aquarium." Its whats holding my sump together :biggrin:

Its cheaper than GE brand too.. and cheap is GOOD! Oh and I find that if I leave a big dollap hanging out the end of the tube when Im done.. Then when I want to use it again, all I have to do is yank it off.. and its down to the good stuff again,

andsoitgoes
03-01-2007, 05:05 PM
k, called GE and talked with them about this. It contains NOTHING in the way of additivies. NO mildewicides, nothing of that sort. The reason they state "not for" is due to what I expected, the shear strength and its ability to keep a super strong seal forever. Which is fine. I'll reinforce it with some other stuff, but it won't leach anything toxic in once it's cured.

So there we go. Good to know. Now, how long it'll hold up is another question, I don't figure I'll keep this sump design for more than a few years, so if it'll do that - I'm set.

Now, to finish the egg crate stand with the garden material cover :)