PDA

View Full Version : CITIES permit's??

chicki
11-19-2002, 12:43 AM
Anyone here in Canada thats not a dealer ever got a cities permit and ordered fish from the states in???
They seem to have so many unique fish and at such good prices...even with the exchange rate.

saltcreep
11-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Importing from the US sounds great at the outset. Take your airfreight ($35 min USD), US Fish and Wildlife ($55 USD), customs clearance, destination charges ($35-55 CAD), and box charge (~$10 USD) into account. Then include mortality, which is inevitable. Plus what type of supplier are you dealing with??? Are they reputable??? Can they even ship to an airport near you???

I suggest that if your local LFS does not have the items you are looking for...ask. Most reputable stores will try and get the items that you will want, if they are available.

Remember...if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

zulu_principle
11-19-2002, 02:49 AM
It depends on your access to the border.

I am two minutes from Pt. Roberts, which means the fish have to wait another 8 to 10 hours for pick up or I drive to Bellingham and pick them up before 10am the next day.

Fish only, normally no cities is required, check species.

I have several "breeding pairs" of clownfish that I was unable to get any retailer to order so brought them in myself from inland aquatics.

My two cents.....

Zulu

UnderWorldAquatics
11-19-2002, 04:28 AM
There are very few fish that require cities permits and they are rare, endangered fish usually, and they usually require a single permit for a single fish. I dont think youll be ordering any hammerhead or greatwhite sharks, any fish you would put in a reef tank will not require a cities permit. Only corals, live rock, and clams will require cities permits.
Ive never had to pay customs anything but canadian taxes to clear the shipment, us fish and wildlife is 55 us, box is about 10, heat packs 1-2 each, most of the wholesalers that have good rates will only sell to stores or wholesalers.... your best bet is to order from Tim at Seacare in sardis, or JL Aquatics in coquitliam, they also have live arrival guarantee that they back up and their prices are great for a hobbiest...

ldzielak
11-26-2002, 01:41 AM
I work in the US regularly and would like to know what I would have to do to get the cities and bring back some SPS on one of my trip.

Lee