PDA

View Full Version : reef stock

ponokareefer
02-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I was looking for people's advice on where to go with adding new stock to my reef tank. I presently have the following fish:
flame angel
bicolor angle
coral beauty
orchid dottyback
2 cinnamon clowns

I was wanting to look at a schooling fish, but not the anthias's. I have heard the chromis can be cool, but can also pick at the lowest on the totem pole in their own group. I have heard the bangai cardinals can be kept with one male and numerous females. I was also wanting to keep 3-4 yellowhead jawfish and a randal goby for my pistol shrimp. Also, I was looking at getting a couple of false percula clowns. Has anyone had a luck with numerous false percula clowns?

Any suggestions?

BCOrchidGuy
03-01-2007, 01:44 AM
What size tank is it, I'm guessing it's not a nano.

Doug

ponokareefer
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
The tank is a 125 gallon, with a 55 gallon sump.

Der_Iron_Chef
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I love my Green Chromises...Chromii?! Whatever.

Are your cinnamon clowns a mated pair?

ponokareefer
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
How many chromi's do you have Drew?
No, my cinnamon clowns are mated. :cry: Actually, they won't even go on the same side of the tank. One is hosted in my frogspawn, the other one hosted in my hammer. When I first introduced them at the same time, the larger one picked on the smaller one until it went to the other side of the tank.
I have a questions about jawfish. Has anyone ever had a problem with them eating cleaner or peppermint shrimp?

Ryan

Murminator
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Dunno if I would mix species of clowns, cardinals are good but I think they perfer low flow a big tink with a nice big school of chromis is nice :mrgreen:

surgeonfish
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I would be reluctant to add any additional clown fish. I think they will get picked on.

scuglass
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
sorry for the hijack but i just have a quick questiopn for ya.

do ur angels get along? i have a flame and want to add a bicolor as well... i have a 75 gal. do u think my tanks too small for this?

ponokareefer
03-01-2007, 10:04 PM
My dwarf angels have a definite pecking order, and our constantly after each other. I occasionally see small pieces of tail missing, but nothing major. I've had all 3 together for about 2 years now. If you are going to add another dwarf angel, I would recommend getting a bigger one, not smaller. As for your size of tank, I used to have all 3 in a 33 gallon with no problems. The only thing to watch out for is sometimes they will go after corals or clams. Mine killed 2 clams, and refuse to let my colt coral come to full extension. They have never killed a coral though.

Ryan

ponokareefer
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Has anyone on here ever kept a school of Chalk Bass's? I just saw them on J&L Aquatics website, and from what I've read so far, they seem like an excellent schooling fish.

christyf5
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I had two, a few years ago. Great little fish. I loved them. They aren't really much for the bright lights though and stayed near the bottom of the tank.