PDA

View Full Version : ANEMONES!!! <shakes fist>

andsoitgoes
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Okay - this is my fault to start, but that doesn't make me any less grumbly!

I had my two cloned LTAs in my tank. They were so, so happy in the back right corner. One, when extended, was beating up on my digitata a bit, so I moved the rock it was on.

BIG MISTAKE.

Since then, they've been wandering fools, and since my sump isn't up and going yet, I've got freakin' 60 different powerheads doing everything known to man (UV sterilizer, etc.) and I made the mistake of thinking that they'd stay AWAY.

sigh.

They haven't.

The last few days, they've wandered RIGHT next to the intake (even in SUPER low power ones) and have gotten at least 10 - 20 tentacles caught. Usually I see it fairly quickly, but I didn't notice yesterday until I got home from work, when I saw my anthelia... well, not very happy.

Anyway - I pulled it out, moved the powerhead out of the way, and yet again this morning, back in. So I've reduced the powerheads I have in the tank and I've also moved my UV Sterilizer powerhead into my AC filter - It's weird, but it's an AC1000 and i've got it on medium... but... ARGH.

All my other corals, sans the digitata that got beat up a while ago and then fell into a rock of mushrooms (grr) are doing okay, but is there anything else I can do to help out the anemones other than maybe giving them an extra feed/time to recover?

Blasted things, if I didn't love them so much I'd... I'd... Something!

Am I the only one?

muck
02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Put guards on those intakes..

Beverly
02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Before introducing our GTBA and RBTA to our tank, I made sure they would have no possibility of getting sucked into a powerhead. ALL powerheads have had guards put on them before the anemones went in.

Kind of off topic, but people who put jumping fish into tanks that don't have the tops covered are also asking for trouble.

andsoitgoes
02-28-2007, 05:20 PM
See - the intakes DO have guards on them, they're not open - and the guards are VERY small. I'm not talking mesh thin weave guards, but very thin guards... no guards would probably mean that I'd have mushed anemone in my tank :)

The only thing that might have prevented it would be to do a super fine mesh or sponge/quickfilter type thing - which would be another thing to fight with in regards to nitrates...

Unless there's something I'm missing?

Johnny Reefer
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Use the QuickFilter guard without the sponge. Then you have a BIG guard.

Cheers,

albert_dao
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Man, I lost like $2000 worth of various Xenia to random anemone poisoning a month ago. Never again!

Matt
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Man, I lost like $2000 worth of various Xenia to random anemone poisoning a month ago. Never again!That's an awful lot of Xenia. What's that work out to, like 3 metric tonnes?

EmilyB
02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
That's an awful lot of Xenia. What's that work out to, like 3 metric tonnes?

:rofl:

ponokareefer
02-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I was looking at putting filter media over the ends of the powerheads, and then cleaning it as needed. I also have 2 anenome walls built, so hopefully any anenomes that I get won't be able to get off of them.

Beverly
03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Johnny Reefer,

I also use Quickfilter guards. They are absolutely the safest.

ponokareefer,

What the heck is an "anemone wall"? I guarantee you that if the anemone doesn't like your wall, it will move.

Haven't posted this timelapse video for awhile, but here's (http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-gbta-tm-lps-night-dec-1-2-05.wmv) how much an anemone can move in one night :eek:

andsoitgoes
03-01-2007, 01:23 AM
The only problem is that the quickfilter guards are SO LARGE.... unless there's another guard?

Johnny Reefer
03-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Cut section out. Glue back together. Done.

BCOrchidGuy
03-01-2007, 01:38 AM
cool video, the snails sure move around a lot as well but that anemone really wanders.

Doug

Beverly
03-01-2007, 02:42 AM
I cut my Quickfiltes down to to less than half of the original size, then use crazy glue to glue them some of the parts together. The top I leave unglued so I can open it up and clean inside. Gets pretty cruddy in there after awhile, even when there are no foams inside.

Doug, I was very surprised to see how much the can move in 10 minutes, and that was a 37g with nothing but rock in it. Imagine a tankful of corals and unprotected powerheads :eek:

RicePaddy
03-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Bev, you have the coolest video's.

Will