PDA

View Full Version : Design for nano gyre tank

kwirky
02-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Ok, so I think i've found a good way to make one of my 33 gallon tanks a well designed tank without investing a lot of $$.

I had previously taken a 33 gallon and divided it in half to make it half sump space, half display space. Nice idea in theory, but it felt that the sump space was a real waste and was hard to decorate. Just didn't like it.

Now I've thought of making a nano-gyre tank. If you'd like a little background to gyre tanks, here's a good link:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

The general idea is to have a circular water flow, letting the water build momentum. You can do that the best with a divider in the tank, either horizontal, or verticle. The horizontal design is a good one because it keeps your lower region flow ballanced with your upper region flow. Upper regions of the tanks are usually the fastest moving because there's nothing at the water's surface to give resistance to the water movement while the lower regions have all the rock and substrate, etc etc.

Here's an example of a horizontal gyre tank.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature_album/figure2.jpg/variant/medium

This one functions well, but not very aesthetic as display tank. The author uses that tank mainly for growing SPS's. I've decided to take the general theory, and apply it to stuff I mostly have kicking around already and make a small 33 gallon gyre tank with a 15 gallon display area that's still visually pleasing when it's finished.

I've been itching to turn my 33 gallon long (36Lx12Wx18H) into a saltwater, but I've been trying to think of a good efficient design for it. After reading about these gyre tanks, I'm liking the idea. Might be something a little unique. I already have the one saltwater, so my next one needs to be different.

Here's my design:

http://www.kwirky88.com/images/aquarium/07-02-27/renderdiagram.jpg

The "platform" would be 6" off the bottom of the tank, giving 12" of display height. There would be 6" of open space on the left and right. The idea is to have two pumps, alternating on aproximately 8 minute timers. They need enough running time each to give it a chance to build a momentum of flow. It gives a display space of 24x12x12 which is just perfect for the 150 HQI i have kicking around yet to use. I'll section off the left and right sides of the display area using egg crate, to prevent rockwork from falling into the gyre regions.

I think when it's done, it would be a great looking nano display. I could paint the regions of the gyre, so there'd be strong water flow, and almost no visible plumbing. Actually no plumbing period, cuz it'd just be two powerheads :)

So here are my questions:

What does everyone think of the idea?

And does anyone know the time frame for switching seio/tunze style pumps on and off using a simple wave timer? Heard it's 15 minutes, heard it's 30 minutes, heard not at all. The author of the above article switches his seio "for 5 to 15 minutes to each side." Seio's sound a little risky cuz I know from experience with mine they sometimes don't start back up when turned on the first try.

I thought of maxijets, but to get the proper water flow, but I would need so many that they would obstruct the corners. The corners need to be open as possible to promote a circular water movement.

albert_dao
02-28-2007, 05:51 AM
You could use a Vortech :D

kwirky
02-28-2007, 05:59 AM
You could use a Vortech :D

3000gph in a 33 gallon tank! wicked idea! lmao.

albert_dao
02-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Do not contemplate the "but's", just do it.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Very interesting. I read your post and then just sat back and thought about it for about 15 minutes before realizing I was just staring at the wall :mrgreen:

Would you place your equipment (ie. skimmer, heater, etc.) in the areas outside (to left or right) of the display area? And are you planning on building a stand around it so that those areas aren't visible?

I'm just trying to get a good feel for it...sorry if the questions sound stupid :wink:

kwirky
02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I think I'd run it skimmerless, as a tank that size would pretty much only need weekly water changes. I won't tap it into the sump of my 120g. Instead I'll see if I can get a completely separate system running better than my 120g.

I would put the heater along either side. Maybe two 75W heaters, one on each side. Out of sight.

As for a stand, I have a simple steel stand I've been using for the 33g tank currently. I'll probably use that because I lack in some good quality power tools. I'm also considering since it's a specially designed tank, I could leave the front completely open to show off it's unique design.

It will be lit with a 150W HQI diy pendant. PFO ballast geisseman 13k bulb. 500w halogen light fixture modded to hold the HQI bulb.

My main concerns are deciding on the pumps. I'll need about 600gph of flow each way, but it's finding a good flow pump that can be switched on and off every 15 minutes. Heard seios and nanostreams are "ok" if the switching cycle is 15 minutes or longer. The nanostreams are only about $25 more than the seios for 600gph ones and no suction cups and a better name.

Hangfire
02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm wondering if it would not still be possible in a tank like this to have overflow(s) and a sump beneath, some place to put a skimmer, heater, whatever? What do you think?

I'm also curious if you given any thought to the possible problems with having swimming critters in such a tank. Is there something to block them from moving into the area underneath - I'm really thinking of animals that might have trouble getting out, like hermit crabs and the such. This type of tank sounds very interesting.

kwirky
03-01-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm wondering if it would not still be possible in a tank like this to have overflow(s) and a sump beneath, some place to put a skimmer, heater, whatever? What do you think?

I'm also curious if you given any thought to the possible problems with having swimming critters in such a tank. Is there something to block them from moving into the area underneath - I'm really thinking of animals that might have trouble getting out, like hermit crabs and the such. This type of tank sounds very interesting.

Well I'm debating whether to tap it into my 120g or not. I said on an earlier post I'd like it separate, but if I did tap it in, it would be easier to maintain.

As for how I would tap it in, I would just drill a hole on the back pane at the top center, put in a gasket and a 90 degree bend and a stand pipe. The return from the sump would tap in at the bottom center. This would promote even further the flow from the bottom to the top, and it would just follow the flow the powerheads are pushing.

I already have an RS135 in the sump of my 120, and another 15 gallons of livestock would make not much of an addition, especially considering my 120g currently is quite understocked.

I would probably separate the sides of the display area using simple egg crate. I don't know if I'd have hermit crabs in there. Possibly emerald crabs, which can't make it through the egg crate. No clue what kind of fish would be in there really, though. Don't think any I get would make it through egg crate.