PDA

View Full Version : WTB mantis shrimp

justinl
02-28-2007, 03:14 AM
Id like to get a mantis shrimp if you one of you guys has one or knows of a store that has one. Let me know how much. I would prefer a peacock mantis.

justinl
03-01-2007, 06:09 AM
bump!

Ticketyboo
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I was in King Eds Pet Shop last week and they have had a mantis shrimp in there for a couple weeks now... its onbly about an inch though and quite small but you could always try there.

justinl
03-08-2007, 03:23 AM
bump.. anyone else out there love the mantis?

Aquattro
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
bump.. anyone else out there love the mantis?

I had a plate full in Cambodia recently, I love them a lot!! Garlic and black pepper, mmmmm....

justinl
03-08-2007, 03:26 PM
hahaha, yeah i know they are edible. Apparently it's a very popular contonese dish called "shako" or "****ing shrimp" because they used to just throw them in a boiling pot and they would release their bowels. yum yum ammonia. Nowadays they stab them to release the bowels before throwing them in.

but despite them being good to eat, i would greatly prefer a LIVE mantis! :biggrin:

justinl
03-09-2007, 08:16 PM
bump

justinl
03-13-2007, 12:07 AM
bump again

Ticketyboo
03-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Ok this may sound stupid... but officially what does Bump mean???

Also i am now into getting a mantis Shrimp too as the more i get into the aquariums... the more i like the Peacock mantis....

Any others out there?

justinl
03-13-2007, 04:11 AM
not stupid at all, for a while i had no idea what bump meant either. A "bump" is used when you have a thread that hasn't been posted in for a while. It "bumps" the thread back to the top of the list if the thread is unanswered but still viable (im still looking for a mantis for example). Why bump? because we have nothing else to say, lol.

nice to hear you want a mantis too. they are sooo cool. the only problem with you wanting a mantis is that it creates competition for me... grrrrr. i kid.

j-roc
03-13-2007, 04:32 AM
BUMP meens Bring Up My Post.

justinl
03-13-2007, 04:59 AM
oh. lol didn't know that.

in other news: still looking for a mantis!

btw ticketyboo, If i find a mantis source, Ill let you know. Unless they only have one. Then im just gonna take it for myself. lol, im not THAT generous.

Ticketyboo
03-13-2007, 05:11 AM
:sad: share? you take it one week and i take it the other week :biggrin:

jordsy
03-20-2007, 05:03 PM
If one of you guys can catch my mantis, Without dismantling the rocks, you can have it lol!!

Midknight
03-20-2007, 05:22 PM
If one of you guys can catch my mantis, Without dismantling the rocks, you can have it lol!!

Hey everybody... fishing trip at Jordsys place. Kidding.
Where do you live? I am sure you will have a couple of guys offereing to help remove him for you.

jordsy
03-20-2007, 06:11 PM
maple ridge, Im trying this bottle trap idea but gettin to many bristle worms in there. They eat the bait b4 the mantis has a chance. I might have to take out the rock hes in but ive only seen him running around a few times so i have no idea where he is hiding out!

tmbar19
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
I have a mantis that I would gladly give you !!!!! I have been trying to trap him for nearly two weeks. We bought a 90 gal. with everything - which included this little pale blue crustacean. Didn't know what it was, so it went into the tank with everything else. Big mistake! He clicks happily away while we search for his hole. I'm afraid of what's going to happen when he grows larger. He was 1/2" when we first got him. Anyone know how fast he'll grow??? I think he's already taken out one of my green-leg crabs. I have red, blue and green legs. Just found a suspicious anemone hanging out of a rock hole last night. Hmmm . . .

By the way, I'm at Caroline, AB and am looking for corals. Colorful, interesting easy-keepers. Have sponge, xenia, colt and frog spawn. Looks like a couple of mushrooms are growing as well - yahoo!! Love to get some blasto, gsp rock, toadstool, tube anemone, hammers etc. Looking for people in Red Deer area to trade with. Marianne

Ticketyboo
03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
I will take one :biggrin:

justinl
03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
let me know if you get one of them david.

jordsy, watch and wait for a while to figure out where his burrow is. Keep track of where he goes and how many burrows he has.

Wen you know where he is, you can set the bottle trap near there. You're using the bottle trap with the inverted funnel kind of top right? The bottle trap does take auite a bit of patience.

If the bottle trap doesn't work you might have to take out the rock he has his burrow in (make sure hes in it too) and repeatedly dip it in a bucket of saltwater (same parameters as your display). keep trying the bottle first though.

btw I have a mantis thanks... whatever is caught would give ticketyboo first dibs.

rudy
03-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Bottle traps only work on the internet. Pull the rock he hides in!

justinl
03-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Ill have to disagree rudy. Bottle traps do work but the key is patience. I don't see the necessity of tearing down an entire reef to get at one mantis that kills a hermit now and then.

rudy
03-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Ill have to disagree rudy. Bottle traps do work but the key is patience. I don't see the necessity of tearing down an entire reef to get at one mantis that kills a hermit now and then.

It is o.k. to disagree Justin. I just think for the most part mantis are not given the credt they diserve. They are smarter than people give them credit for. They are not a pest, they are a pet. :)

Ticketyboo
03-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Can i just have a Mantis please? pretty please? i have a tank up and running all lonely waiting for a mantis :neutral:

rudy
03-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Can i just have a Mantis please? pretty please? i have a tank up and running all lonely waiting for a mantis :neutral:

I will put one one on greyhound for you if you want.

Ticketyboo
03-21-2007, 03:37 AM
:smile: oh please!!!! what kind is it and what size? how much for the delivery to white rock???

rudy
03-21-2007, 11:23 AM
pmed