PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide

StirCrazy
01-10-2002, 11:30 PM
Ok if you guys were going to set up a 90 gal with 80lbs of LR in it and a 6" DSB, what would you put in it as a main fish.
I want to get a lawnmower blennie and 4 cleaner shrimp for sure, and maby a couple clown percs, but I can't decide on a nice flashy fish as amain atraction so any ideas are welcome.

Steve

DJ88
01-10-2002, 11:34 PM
Splendid Dottybacks. A pair.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Best fish in the world IMO.

In all seriousness tho.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Are you hoping to have any meaty LPS or clams? lawnmowers have been known to bite them to death. Most bristle/comb tooth blennies seem to do this.

Before we help ya here why don't you tell us what you hope to keep for corals and such. Makes things easier. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif IMO.. lol

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Jack
01-11-2002, 12:12 AM
A nice lookin powder blue should do it images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

StirCrazy
01-11-2002, 01:45 AM
ya I thought about that after i posted Darren, I want to have pulsing xena, star polups, shrooms, and some other softs and maby a LPS ( I like that pink and blue one in your sand bed images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif )

Steve

Aquattro
01-11-2002, 01:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack:
A nice lookin powder blue should do it images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately Steve's tank is only three feet long...probably make for an unhappy powder blue

StirCrazy
01-11-2002, 01:54 AM
even being 2 feet wide? I guess I should put the tank dimentions also..
36"l x 24"w x 24"h

Steve

DJ88
01-11-2002, 02:14 AM
A 90 is too small for a powder IMO.. as well the stress out VERY easily and die of ich very quickly. Ask Lee. He bought one and it didn't make the trip home. One of the most difficult Tangs to keep.

Hmm as for the rest of the tank and possible occupants.. Let me think on it.. Could be fun.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

THe coral that you are so in love with is called a Disk Coral. Fungia sp. They can sure be a neat coral that is for sure. With feeding they grow quite quickly.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Aquattro
01-11-2002, 02:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StirCrazy:
even being 2 feet wide? I guess I should put the tank dimentions also..
36"l x 24"w x 24"h

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup...My opinion is that a PB should have at least 5' of tank to swim across. Tangs love the open space!!

StirCrazy
01-11-2002, 02:36 AM
hey Darrren how does that disk coral look under actinics? I have this idea that I want to get different colors floressing when I just have the actinics on.. I think it would look neat.

Steve

One_Divided
01-11-2002, 02:39 AM
Steve are you sure you really want to plan so much already? I think it takes some of the fun out of it.. lol. but it never hurts to do your research!

Cleaner shrimp are cool, but they like to chow on bristle worms. So if you decide to add some, I'd give the tank time to liven up a lot before adding them.

Hey I got that ballast if ya wanna get together soon and see how it competes..

DJ88
01-11-2002, 02:40 AM
Same feelings here Brad.. 5' minimum... IMO images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Steve,

It glows a bit. mainly the greeen areas. the rest looks purple. Not nearly as bright as the brain mind you.

One_Divided
01-11-2002, 02:56 AM
Speaking of tanks too small for a tang, I think it's time mine moves on.. He is totally healthy, but I can tell the way he swims, he just doesn't have the space.. Never gets ick, but never was fat either..

Shane was interested.. You there Shane?

Reefmaster
01-11-2002, 03:07 AM
adam i don't remember that type it is. let me know what ya want for him.

One_Divided
01-11-2002, 03:09 AM
Just a yellow.. We'll figure something out.. You think you're good for room?

reefburnaby
01-11-2002, 03:30 AM
Hi,

I think 3' is too short for full size tang. However, you could keep a small tang (2") and trade it for a small one every two years.

How about some clowns for starters ? Tomatoe clowns ?

My 90 (4 feet) is also pretty small for my sailfin, but I use a reef rack. So, I have a big tunnel underneath my coral islands. This provides more swimming room for the tang (i.e. he can do figure eight laps).

- Victor.

One_Divided
01-11-2002, 03:57 AM
I regret that I bought my tang back in the early days of my reef keeping days and I was advised wrongly that the tank would be big enough.. a packed 33 is like a prison..

Reefmaster
01-12-2002, 03:01 PM
hey adam.
we'll take mr yellow. i'll try calling ya today.

StirCrazy
01-12-2002, 05:59 PM
hey Adam when do you plan on hooking up that ballast? I was trying to figure out when we can get togeather and see how it works but I don't know what your schedual is like.

Steve

One_Divided
01-13-2002, 04:57 AM
today would work.. talk to ya later