PDA

View Full Version : Tech help - CPU's...

AndyL
02-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Wanting to upgrade the laptop... 1.4ghz celeron just aint good enough...

Gateway MX3210, limited to 400mhz FSB (although chipset supports it, gateway's crippled it).

From google I know I can upgrade to a Pentium M 735, but that's an older discussion. Gateway's been useless but they're more than willing to sell me a new laptop :lol:

Could I upgrade to one of the >=2.0ghz Pentium M 755 or 765s? Or would I be better off being safe and just going to the 735? 755/765 say they're 400FSB's and a compatibility chart shows they're upgrades to that 735... So it should be safe ? Right?

Thanks in advance,

DanG
03-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Stick to the 735, going to some of the faster cpu's may move you to a newer core that's not supported by your existing chipset.

midgetwaiter
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Is the CPU on that thing in a socket? I'm not a current laptop hardware guy but a lot of stuff like that is not in a ziff socket or something similar, they use cpu daughter boards. If that is the case you need an OEM part to do the upgrade which they will of course hose you for.

If it is socketed you could still run into problem trying to go with a faster chip. Unless the BIOS can properly identify and configure the bus speed and clock multiplier it isn't going to work right. You need a BIOS update from gateway that supports the chip, which they are probably not going to give you.