PDA

View Full Version : A tear for today

Beermaster
02-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Ryan Smyth Has been traded, he will no long be wearing the blue and copper :(
I cant believe it !!
I never thought Id see Smyth in any other jersey.
Lowe was in a super tough spot.
Looks like he got quite abit at least.
Nilsson's supposed to be the real deal, O'mara is supposed to be living up to expectations and a first round.

Hopefully he resigns with the oil in the offseason, if he doesnt get too enticed by ridiculous offers from other teams, Lowe will look like a genius.

The Edmonton Oilers sent forward Ryan Smyth to the New York Islanders just before Tuesday's NHL trade deadline.

Edmonton received a 2007 first-round draft choice, winger Robert Nilsson and centre Ryan O'Marra

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2007/01/31/smyth-ryan-cp-070131.jpg

ponokareefer
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
What a sad day this is. :cry: I thought it would be coming, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. I wonder why Sykora isn't going? He is unrestricted this summer. Anyone know why Nilsson isn't in the NHL after a decent year last year?

Ryan

supersmile
02-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree it is a sad day. What a way to put a damper on Messier's retirement celebration tonight. The fans are not going to be happy tonight including me :sad:

SJSobczyk
02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey hey as a flames fan this is great. There are rumors he is just a rental player for the Islanders until summer time where he may sign again with the Oilers, but who knows??

Steve

ponokareefer
02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Yah, Lowe is going to get crucified at the game. Wish I could be there just to see that! :twised: As much as he will get crucified, this is about Smyth wanting more money. Apparently he was offered 5.5million/year, and didn't think it was enough. Pathetic!

Beermaster
02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
this is about Smyth wanting more money. Apparently he was offered 5.5million/year, and didn't think it was enough. Pathetic!
See i heard 3.5 and he wanted 5?

who knows?

they all make too much effin money imo

ponokareefer
02-27-2007, 09:09 PM
He is making 3.5m this year, and they originally offered 5million last week, and it went up to 5.5million today. Smyth wanted 6million. He pretty much said he didn't want to be here.

Beermaster
02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Well then i take my tear back, greedy a$$ bastard!

SJSobczyk
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Sorry to say guys but when he is your franchise player, he is worth 6 mill.

Steve

Beermaster
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
nobody is worth 6 million a year! IMO

okay no i am not going to get into that can of worms here, but i am sad to see him in a different jersy now

ponokareefer
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
So are there other Oilers fans that are going to jump on the Flames bandwagon again? I, for one, will never.

Delphinus
02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Come on now. You can't expect him to raise a family on a mere $6 million per year.

ponokareefer
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Apparently, the other issue that came up was the length of the contract. He wanted a 5 year deal and the oilers weren't willing to sign a guy for over 5 million for 5 years when he will turn 36 in his last year.

muck
02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
They shoulda dealt with this and signed him back in September.. :bad-word:

demon666
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
i am a huge oilers fan that is sad to see smitty go...... a rental player i hope but cant see it....... if he is a rental player why wouldnt they deal him to a team that is in the running for the cup???? not a team that is still 1 point out of the playoffs (as of lastnight dont know if that is still the same) sure we got 2 first round players which 1 of isnt even in the nhl and i dont even know if the other 1 is....... and the 1s round pick in the 07 draft is still at least 3 yrs awayto see if that pans out so as sad as it is it is still done smitty is no longer an oiler and for kevin lowe's sake i hope he brings smitty back to oil country in the off season..........but business is business and no matter how you look at it we would all do the same thing given the opprotunity.....

ponokareefer
02-28-2007, 09:28 PM
First off, I hate to ever see Smitty wear another uniform. But if he wants 6million a year, someone else can have him. That type of money is for cornerstone players only, and since he has been here, we have only ever been a marginal team, barely making the playoffs every single year. Last year was an exception, with everything coming together perfectly(well, almost). Do we want to be like the Blackhawks and pay out cornerstone money for guys like aucoin, knabibulin, or havlat? He is in the middle of a career year, and still isn't near the top of the leader board for points. I know he has missed some game with injuries, but still isn't very close. He plays his heart out every single game, but that doesn't mean he should get paid 6 million. A lot of players play their heart out, but they don't get 6 million.

Doug
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
At least you guys still have a hockey team. :smile: Could always be worse,

like us. :sad:

Tarolisol
03-01-2007, 12:44 AM
First off, I hate to ever see Smitty wear another uniform. But if he wants 6million a year, someone else can have him. That type of money is for cornerstone players only, and since he has been here, we have only ever been a marginal team, barely making the playoffs every single year. Last year was an exception, with everything coming together perfectly(well, almost). Do we want to be like the Blackhawks and pay out cornerstone money for guys like aucoin, knabibulin, or havlat? He is in the middle of a career year, and still isn't near the top of the leader board for points. I know he has missed some game with injuries, but still isn't very close. He plays his heart out every single game, but that doesn't mean he should get paid 6 million. A lot of players play their heart out, but they don't get 6 million.

What i here he wanted was 5 million and a long term deal which for a franchise player is a good deal. 5 million is market value for him. He was apparently only offered 3.5 for a couple years. Edmontons owners are known for there tight pockets. They put there money ahead of the teams interests.
As for chicago Havlet is an elite player and is worth the money, but needs someone to play with. And bulin is above average goalie, but you cant win with just a goalie, for the most part. This was a huge mistake for edmonton and unless you find a new player to build your team around it will not get any better. Edmonton has enough trouble finding player will to live there why get rid of the only good player who enjoys living there.

ed99
03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
3.5 million for 2 years was his previous deal. TSN reported that he turned down 27 million over 5 years. I think Edmonton needed to sign him, and his agent thought so too.