PDA

View Full Version : Do aptesia glow under actinics?

andresont
02-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey guys i have my new 60 Gal tank up and running and i see some small polyps popping out from live rocks and they glow green under actinics only. They do like aptesia but I don't remember if in my previous tanks if they used to glow green under actinics.
Anyone care to check theirs? Because two of mine is too tiny to positevly identify. If they are, then i need to buy some shrimps to get rid of it.
Thx.

Beverly
02-27-2007, 01:41 PM
IME, aiptasia will grow under almost no light :twised:

Der_Iron_Chef
02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Grow or glow?!

Beermaster
02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
I dont belive he is asking about them growing, they glow green, i have never seen them glow green before

Matt
02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I can confirm that they don't glow under actinics in my tank.

Murminator
02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I can confirm that they don't glow under actinics in my tank.

Mine do not glow either

Skimmer Juice
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
I put a bunch in bucket with just water and they were still living 4 days later, they will live under anything.:twised:

Midknight
02-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey guys i have my new 60 Gal tank up and running and i see some small polyps popping out from live rocks and they glow green under actinics only. They do like aptesia but I don't remember if in my previous tanks if they used to glow green under actinics.
Anyone care to check theirs? Because two of mine is too tiny to positevly identify. If they are, then i need to buy some shrimps to get rid of it.
Thx.

I think his Q is do they GLOW? If not what do we think they are that would glow like this?

saltwatermaniac
02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
By the sounds of it they seem like button polyps to me.

andsoitgoes
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I mistook a white star polyp for apistasia some months back, glad I didn't douse it TOO much with Joe's Juice, although it probably wouldn't have done anything...

but anyway, pictures! Mine grow very nicely green under actinics.

Murray - they're the cockroaches of saltwater, I tell ya! I've ripped them off, stuck 'em in a bucket with water (I was doing a clean) came back a week later and they were still alive. COLD WATER... ugh. Needless to say there stuffed in soil outside now, so TAKE THAT evil thing!!

maron6977
02-27-2007, 08:06 PM
I had mojano (pest anenome) that would glow @ night.
Mark

andresont
03-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input !

yep they are apteisa and they do glow green. I guess there are so many different species.
And in my previous tank I don’t remember them glowing.
Killed one already with new German staff from Ocean Aquatics. Worked like a charm. Second one must have felt it and not opening as much, but I will get rid of this one too. Also bought a peppermint shrimp just in case there are more behind the rocks.

Murminator
03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Use a syringe full of vinegar....oh and you have to go " Muhahahaha" while do that seems to work for me. oh and you seen little brittle stars move at 100MPH when the vinigar get nears them :mrgreen: