PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

ponokareefer
02-27-2007, 01:51 AM
After doing a lot of research, I've decided that a calcium reactor would probably be in my tanks best interests. I have a 125 gallon mixed reef, and was wondering what type would work best for my system? There seems to be quite a few models out there, and I was wondering if they all operate outside of the tank, or if any operate inside a sump? The reason I ask, is all seem to be of a significant size and I would have to do a little cramming to get it to fit. Also, it seems like you need to be able to get bottled CO2. Where do you find this item?

Ryan

mark
02-27-2007, 03:21 AM
do consider DIY

Never really worked with acrylic before and did have a couple of problems of my own making (suggest listening to the wise and don't try to get fancy with a groove in the flange for the o-ring) but built a simple 6x19" CO2 recir reactor that sits outside of sump on a 10x18" footprint including CO2 bottle.

With what seems a relatively low bubble and drip rate holds my tank at 350-360ppm Ca and Alk of ~10KH

The reactor including the Mag3 cost about $150, used CO2 bottle and reg I got for $100 and think about $25 for the solenoid valve.

Can ask a welding shop about bottle and reg but have also seen combo at J&L etc.

ponokareefer
02-27-2007, 03:44 PM
One reactor that seems to be widely available is by Coralife that is on J&L aquatics website. It seems to be on the less expensive end of the spectrum as well. I was wondering if anyone has used this item, and if so, how well the product worked. Typically, with cheap price, comes cheap equipment.