PDA

View Full Version : Book recomendation

akforsyth
11-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Anyone want to recomend a book for a beginner? I am wanting to set up a new reef tank within the next year and would like to get some good reference material as well as to ensure that I am not overlooking any pertinent info. Thanks.

chicki
11-18-2002, 01:35 AM
There are some really good books out there, but I personally like the book by Bob Fenner called "the conquentious aquariast" and the two coral books...one by Eric Borneman called Aquarium Corals and Corals quick reference guide by Julian Sprung

FishGeek
11-18-2002, 01:44 AM
Natural Reef Aquariums by JOhn Tullock is a very good book. It lists all equipment needed and different filtrations types. The Conciensous Marine aquarist is more a general marine aquarium book. They are both published by the same company so the picts are the same in both books. and the price is about the same for both. If you want the ultimate book, get the Reef Aquarium by Chuck Delbeek and Jullian Sprung. This book reads like a text book with lots of scientific words but has the most through and complete information. It is also twice the cost of the two previous books!

Simon

StirCrazy
11-18-2002, 02:36 AM
thoes are all good books, some not for beginners though hehe.. if you want a cheep book to explain the general theorys and ideas behind stuff I would recomend "Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook, by Dr. Robert J. Goldstein" there is a bit of outdated stuff (like info on pleniums) and such but it explains the basics very well. as with any book don't take what they say for Gospal but rather read then ask question on the boards.

this book ws the first book I bought and I still refer back to it for some things.. From there youcan then buy mose spicific books like "Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman and Corals quick reference guide by Julian Sprung" or "Reef Aquarium by Chuck Delbeek and Jullian Sprung." but for the money you have to invest in the others ..make sure they are what you need befor you buy them.

Steve

Canadian Man
11-18-2002, 06:45 AM
Good one Steve!
That was the first book that I purchased and it is great info for beginners.
Decent section on corals as well.

Delphinus
11-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Fossa and Nilsen also have a series similar to Delbeek and Sprung, some say they are just a tiny bit better. For the money though, it's hard to buy both series, as you probably end up laying down $500-600 just on books in that case (unless you can find them used).

(I have TRA [D&S] myself... I wish I knew someone with F&N so I could borrow them! :) )

Dale D
11-18-2002, 04:24 PM
All of the books mentioned are excellent. They are the ones I recommend to customers the most. Unfortunately with reef books most of the best ones are very expensive. :( For people who do not have that kind of money to put out on a book, I usually recommend a book that is published by Barron's. It is called Corals and is actually written by John Tullock. It is almost a shorter less detailed version of his larger more expensive book. It is very up to date (even mentions deep sand beds) which most of the other pocketbook type of reef books are not. And it is only about $10.

It is a good starter book for a person who is new to the hobby or just looking into getting into it and has a limited budget.

Dresden
11-24-2002, 10:47 AM
do NOT get The Tropical Marine Fish Survival Manual by Gordon Kay
Good pictures but many are photoshoped /w extra fish added :roll:

here's a quote asking about the clown trigger :cry:

Q: I have a 50 gal aquarium which houses a King Angel and a lionfish. Could I add a trigger?
A: Absolutely, as long as you dont overstock. Your tank probably only contains 40 gal when displacement is accounted for, so your maximum fish-holding capacity is therefore 20"

sumpfinfishe
11-25-2002, 03:14 AM
All above are great reads, also you might to try all the beginner articles in "aquarium frontiers" archives. :D

200gal
12-05-2002, 09:33 PM
I will have to second the Natural Reef aquariums by John Tullock. After I bought that book I was thinking I did not have to purchase the other smaller books that I have. Great for the beginners like me. I picked it up at Pet Land for 65.00

Troy F
12-06-2002, 12:02 AM
My four favourites so far are: Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman, Reef Fishes by Scott Michael, The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium by Svein Fossa and Alf Jacob Nilsen and the Natural Reef Aquarium by John Tullock. Tullock's book is great for both the beginner and advanced aquarist. I like his information on biotopes myself.

rossb
12-06-2002, 12:11 AM
ak...I'm kinda a cheap old bug*(& so for my buck I would start reading and following the threads in some of the bulletin boards, such as this one. I was given a number of books but reading information from a wide variety of seasoned amateurs is not to be underestimated. You can read and ask questions in a number of different forums and get lots of opinions...some good, some bad and some stupid. Most are gentle to beginners...and you can learn lots.

I would also recomend getting alot of travel brochers and looking at pictures of exotic places..that you will likely never travel to after you start down this path :roll: