PDA

View Full Version : Sun flower

David
02-26-2007, 05:21 AM
What should I feed the Sun Flower coral and how offen ? Thanks in advance.

Atomikk
02-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Sun Flower coral? What coral is that? Do you mean Tubastrea?

andresont
02-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Meaty food at least tvice a week i was told.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Tubastrea&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Der_Iron_Chef
02-26-2007, 03:05 PM
On a hunch, I fed mine NLS pellets last night, and they gobbled it up!

castaway
02-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Mine won't open.
I've placed it all over in the tank but it won't open. :question:

mr_alberta
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Sun Corals are nocturnal and need to be trained to open when the lights are on.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Have you trained yours to stay open during the day? And if so, how long will it stay open?

findingnemo1
02-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Mine stays open from about an hour after the lights go on which is 9.30 till about 3 or 4. And then they come back out when the lights are off. I feed mine mysis once a week and my tank gets cyclo-peeze daily just a little bit and the sun coral instantly opens when it hits the water. Mine is also in a little cave so it gets a little light but not alot and there is some flow in there.

G1GY
02-27-2007, 04:27 AM
On a hunch, I fed mine NLS pellets last night, and they gobbled it up!

:lol:

They gobbled it up because they don't know that copper isn't actualy good for them.

NLS has some copper in it.

Der_Iron_Chef
02-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Well, there goes my hunch! :redface:

RD
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
They gobbled it up because they don't know that copper isn't actualy good for them.

NLS has some copper in it.

Copper is an essential trace element in all living things, even natural sea water contains copper, as do all of the commercial salt water mixes on the market. The trace amount of copper used in Spectrum fish food can not be detected by even the most sophisticated instrument, and it is absolutely safe for a reef aquarium and any corals found within such a system. New Life could have just as easily left this trace element off of their label, but they prefer to educate, rather than choose the path of least resistance.

Some of the larger public marine aquariums in the USA feed NLS in their reef systems, including Atlantis Marine World in NY, the Columbus Zoo, and Mystic Aquarium in CT. I believe that there are several other public aquariums in the US that also use NLS, but those are the ones that I can recall at the moment that purchase their food directly from New Life International.

While I'm certainly no expert on keeping corals, I believe that Joe Yaiullo, the curator of Atlantis Marine World would qualify as being one. You can view his 20,000 gallon reef set up in the link below ( the largest closed reef system in North America and the fourth-largest in the world.), where he also mentions feeding New Life Spectrum.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/2/aquarium

Joe's been using NLS for 7-8 years now, and the creator of NLS food has been involved in the marine industry for the past 35 yrs. While New Life Spectrum may be relatively new on the Canadian market, it's been sold in the USA for the better part of the past decade, and if there was going to be any negative reactions from using this food within a reef system you would have heard or read about it long ago.

HTH

bubblepuffer
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
watch out for those yellow monster =) when they are happy they spread like crazy in the tank.. you can find baby yellow monster almost any corner, top, bottom or where it find a happy place to land itself