PDA

View Full Version : Do common blue mushrooms sting?

Borderjumper
02-26-2007, 02:51 AM
I just got a blasto from another reefer which is not doing well at all. It shows some skeleton on the outer edge of 2 or 3 polyps. She has had it for 3 months.

On the backside of the 2.5" rock is a large blue mushroom. Could this be stinging the blasto?

Der_Iron_Chef
02-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Yes! They can sting neighbouring corals.

Quagmire
02-26-2007, 03:20 AM
They can sting,but its more likely to be chemical,mushrooms are one of the most noxious corals in our tanks.Almost as bad as GSP for chemical warfare.Maybe try target feeding the blasto,might help it get some strength back.Could also try running some carbon to help lessen the effects.

andsoitgoes
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I've had issues with my shroomies being near.... ugh, anything - especially other softies, brains. It beat the crap out of my favia and I had to move it on the quick before it actually killed of the polyps.

I say rip the shroom off and stuff it in a corner or tie it on a rock, might be a good frag test to chop up and see if it survives!! :)

KrazyKuch
02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
They sting...I had some by one of my SPS' and pretty much killed that branch!!!

Borderjumper
02-27-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys. I chiseled the portion of rock off that the shroom was on. Had to cut the mushroom in half tho as thats where the rock split. Each 1/2 is attached to its own rock, so the shroom should be ok.

The blasto looks a little better today, 2 of the polyps ate mysis last night. Each polyp that is left has some skelton showing, but the remaining tissue is all plumped up today.I guess time will tell if it heals.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/blasto004.jpg

Quagmire
02-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Blastos are pretty tough,I think they will be OK.I had 3 polyps on a rock that shrunk down to nothing when my tank overheated one summer.2 of the polyps grew back over the next few months.