PDA

View Full Version : red bugs

Edmonton Eskimo
02-25-2007, 03:47 AM
I was examining my sps today and I think I have red bugs. Does anyone have experience with treating these? I think intercepter is needed but I don't have any and I'm not sure how to get some. If anyone can help me I would be very appreciative.

mark
02-25-2007, 04:11 AM
I did the Interceptor whole tank treatment based on the reefs.org post being three whole take treatments one week apart. Worked well for me, finished it last Nov and no sign of them since.

I took out my cleaner shrimp and hermits for the duration and place in a QT. Was able to see a few pods after the treatment but then never had a whole lot since adding the 6 line.

I did start getting a cyano outbreak toward the end of Dec that I can't figure out. Tank had been up for ~10 month, feeding the same, testing 0 NO3, etc, thankfully it's just about over now since adding macro. I'm not sure if related but have read a post somewhere where another reefer had a cyano outbreak after Interceptor.

There is another protcol where you just dip the corals http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html . I found it after starting the whole tank method so didn't try.

As for Interceptor I was able to get the last fr Lando (thanks again) but would suggest asking a vet. Don't know your water volume but do have 1/2 tablet left if you want.

BMW Rider
02-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Whole tank treatment is a worst case situation. If you are able to remove your acros to a hospital tank it is the better option. I was able to treat mine that way since I caught the bugs while still in QT. If they are in your tank now, and you are able to completely remove the acros with out destroying them and everything else, then do so. If that is not practical, then use the whole tank treatment.

Another advantage of using a hospital tank to treat is that you can use a higher dosage and do only a single treatment. And since the tank is smaller, you don't need as much of the drug to treat it, even at a higher dosage. I was able to purchase a single tablet of the smallest dosage from a vet making it fairly inexpensive. I used 1/4 of the tablet for the treatment, which left me with three doses for treating later acros I bought. If you go for the whole tank option, you will need to use larger dosages and multiple treatments. Since the medication is not cheap, it will add to your costs.

Edmonton Eskimo
02-25-2007, 05:28 PM
if I do the hospital tank thing don't the bugs stay in the main tank only to reinfect when I return them to the main? I am aslo wondering how quickly I will need to act.

cinci
02-25-2007, 05:42 PM
i started my treatment today in a 20 gallon hospital tank. i noticed the bugs several weeks ago. i think it takes some time to for the little guys do kill the acros but the sooner you start treatment the better for the corals.if you need some interceptor pm me and i'll give you the info where i got mine.

marie
02-25-2007, 05:49 PM
if I do the hospital tank thing don't the bugs stay in the main tank only to reinfect when I return them to the main? I am aslo wondering how quickly I will need to act.

Eric Borneman did a study on red bugs and found out that without acropora to host them they can't survive more then five days, so if you kept the acros in the hospital tank for a week, the display tank should be clear :biggrin:

KrazyKuch
02-25-2007, 08:41 PM
I had a really bad red bug infestation that killed half my acro's in a matter of days....depends on how bad the infestation is...

Also if you need some interceptor I have 3 or 4 boxes ( each box has 6 tablets at 23mg per tablet) of the stuff I am sure I can get some for you!

Edmonton Eskimo
02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
I have only seen the bugs on 2 of my acros. I also have two millis and various monti caps. Are all of them affected and in need of treatment. I would like to hear others experiences with these as I would like to know who has treated in tank and out as well.

KrazyKuch
02-28-2007, 12:59 AM
I believe they only affect Acropora...but I am not sure....I would treat all your Acros even if yo don't see the bugs on them!!!

ClubReef
02-28-2007, 01:03 AM
In my opinion and experience, Interceptor is relatively safe and easy to use. You can go out of your way and pull out the colonies and treat them seperatly but..but to me this seems less effective because red bugs can still be alive on your substrate or floating in your water column wich can then lead to reinfestation.

I have ~100 net gal of water and I treated the tank with 1 crushed pill...and only did an 8% water change. I lost maybe couple of snails..but everything else survived and my acros were healthy again.

If you decide to treat your tank..make sure you buy extra pills for Acro quarintine dips for future use. Before I introduce a frag, I always take a salifert size amount of interceptor and treat the frag in a Super Big Gulp container for 3hrs prior to introducing into my display..always do this because red bugs is really rampant in this hobby.

I hope this helps.

mark
02-28-2007, 01:50 AM
I would treat all your Acros even if yo don't see the bugs on them!!!

wasting your time if you don't

marie
02-28-2007, 02:40 AM
If anyone wants more info on red bugs

http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Tegastes%20index.html

Johnny Reefer
02-28-2007, 03:31 AM
.... Before I introduce a frag, I always take a salifert size amount of interceptor and treat the frag in a Super Big Gulp container for 3hrs prior to introducing into my display..always do this because red bugs is really rampant in this hobby. ...
How much is a "salifert size amount"?

Thanx much,

Reefer Rob
02-28-2007, 03:38 AM
I treated all my acros when I switched tanks a month ago. I took everything out of the old tank except the acros, and did a 24 hr treatment before adding carbon. I left the new tank without acros for 5 days as Borneman suggested. So far after 3 weeks I have no re-infestation. I would treat the whole tank only as a last resort, if you can't get your acros out easily.

Your really going to like the results after you treat. The effect on the acroporas is almost instantaneous.

This is a picture of a frag taken about 2 months before the treatment, which is how it still look just before treatment.
http://www.excalibur.bc.ca/aquarium/Acropora%20Before%20And%20After%20Red%20Bug%20Trea tment/slides/Oct_23_2006%20003.jpg

And 2 days after the treatment. I know it's hard to see with the white background, but if you look closely you can see increased polyp extension and color improvement.
http://www.excalibur.bc.ca/aquarium/Acropora%20Before%20And%20After%20Red%20Bug%20Trea tment/slides/2%20Days%20After%20Treatment%20Feb_4_2007.jpg

BCOrchidGuy
02-28-2007, 03:41 AM
Interesting, so he doesn't figure there is a larval stage so you shouldn't have to worry about re infection once you treat for them. The Luguls sounded a bit scarey, risky etc... To bad he didn't test some of the commercial coral dips available, mind you the boric acid sounded the least stressful but maybe that was just the way I read it.

Doug

ClubReef
02-28-2007, 04:41 AM
How much is a "salifert size amount"?

Thanx much,

Salifert test kits such as their P04 test come with a blue scooper..I use that to scoop in crushed Interceptor...if I was to guess it's about 1/10th of a teaspoon???

Johnny Reefer
02-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Salifert test kits such as their P04 test come with a blue scooper..I use that to scoop in crushed Interceptor...if I was to guess it's about 1/10th of a teaspoon???
I figured that's what you meant. Just wanted to be sure.

Thanx much,

Chaloupa
08-22-2007, 02:05 AM
sorry if this has been answered...BUT....do redbugs ONLY affect acros??? I "think" I might have redbugs as I am getting some webs between branches and I used a flashlight last night and believe that I saw some...removing frags to treat is easy so that I can accomplish....but the other corals like Mille, montipora etc...will they support redbugs?

(is a Prostrata considered an acro, SPS newbie question :redface:)

christyf5
08-22-2007, 02:18 AM
sorry if this has been answered...BUT....do redbugs ONLY affect acros??? I "think" I might have redbugs as I am getting some webs between branches and I used a flashlight last night and believe that I saw some...removing frags to treat is easy so that I can accomplish....but the other corals like Mille, montipora etc...will they support redbugs?

(is a Prostrata considered an acro, SPS newbie question :redface:)

Hehe I just figured out your PM. :mrgreen: Yes a prostrata is actually Acropora prostrata.

Webs between branches doesn't necessarily mean redbugs. If you look at one of your "browner" corals its easiest to see the bugs as little glistening yellowy bits (my best description) or on a lighter coral you can see them fairly easily towards the tips of the coral. You could even reach in the tank and bring a frag to the glass to see them (if you don't have them all nailed down). Personally I would take out all the hard corals and treat them, you never know what they might harbor.

michika
08-22-2007, 02:34 AM
Maybe these will help, a few macro shots of what red bugs really look like:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/20060515_145700_2943.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/redbug_800.jpg

For the record both photos were found on the website www.ximinasphotography.com

Chaloupa
08-22-2007, 02:39 AM
UGH.....I hope I don't have them! I think I'll have to take some macros and examine closely