PDA

View Full Version : Rediculous?????

X-Treme
02-24-2007, 04:08 AM
So.......is a seio 1100 AND an 820 rediculously overpowering for a 35 gallon? Tank is 24Lx18Dx20H. DSB. Will be wanting to keep ANYTHING that might catch my eye. What do you people think? Should I only use ONE? Which one? Or is BOTH ok, just turn em down?

G1GY
02-24-2007, 04:34 AM
820 should be more than enough unless you like the sandstorm look. :)

Rippin
02-24-2007, 08:38 AM
My suggestion is that you try to achieve varied flow within the aquarium, as opposed to very strong flow.

I had a Seio 1500 in my 50 gallon and although it was more than enough power to blow things around, it was very focused and was too strong on corals directly in its path. If I were to alter the position then there would be dead spots. I opted to go with two smaller powerheads to give me the flexibility.

Seeing that you have two (powerful) powerheads to use, just give it a try. I would turn each powerhead down to its lowest flow and go from there. Your rockwork will also determine how much and what type of flow is necessary. Also, Seio powerheads are large and having two in a 35g might look cumbersome. Finally, finding the perfect flow in a empty tank (no corals) is great, but as soon as you start adding livestock, you'll most probably need to alter your powerhead positions and rockwork as well. It will be an iterative and experimental process.

Good luck.

Kronk
02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I would put a water diffuser on the powerheads to spread out the flow. Without them i would say thats pushing it for a lot of soft corals.

Chin_Lee
02-24-2007, 03:49 PM
its not as "ridiculous" as it may seem if you can manage the flow direction. you should also indicate if you are planning on a sandbed or BB which will make a difference in making that determination

if you already have or you do wish to use these pumps, you do have three options
1) aim the powehead at an angle towards the glass and it diffuses the flow quite effectively. you could also aim it directly down onto the ground (if you don't have sand ie BB) where it could blow as much detritus up and hopefully out to your skimmer
2) aim the seio at an angle towards the water surface which will diffuse the flow
3) the seio's also come with the right angle attachment that allow the seio to be positioned up/down and the attachment blows the water out at a right angle. this attachment also diffuses alot of the flow

albert_dao
02-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Do it! More flow = less work.

Chin_Lee
02-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Do it! More flow = less work.
how are you able to summarize my post into 6 words????:mrgreen:

kwirky
02-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Might be nice to run both anyways, since the tank is pretty tall. It would even out your water flow. Nice to point a powerhead at the back of the workwork too, to prevent dead spots in the rockwork. they can be turned down, too, if it's too much flow.

It's a lot easier to have to little flow than it is to have too much flow.