PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Flame Angel?

Tigger
11-16-2002, 05:32 PM
I was wondering how many people are able to keep a flame angel who does not eat corals (LPS and sofites). I have heard mixed opinion whether this is possible.
Is it better to get a small one?
Will it eat coral when it gets bigger?
What will be my best chance?
Are there any particular corals which the flame angel likes to eat?
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Samw
11-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Hi Tigger. As you know and have seen, my flame angel has been absolutely trouble free since I got it in July.

terryp01
11-16-2002, 06:06 PM
Most Centropyge are advertised as being reef safe. However, in my personal experience, all of the ones I have owned (bicolor, FLAMES, potters, coral beauties) have picked at one coral or another in my reef tank. It is usually one coral, they don't eat it but they swim by and nip at it to the point that it will not extend and I usually end up removing the fish.

My Flame picked at my open brain and button polyps.

It is best, stresswise, to get a medium sized fish. The extremely small and large fish do not ship well and have a harder time adapting once moved (my experience).

tp

StirCrazy
11-16-2002, 06:20 PM
I have had my Flame for about 3 months now.. I saw him take one pick at my open brain and never saw him take another... The Brain didn't show any sines of dammage or stress. that was the only incident that I have seen and I have not see any signs of dammage or anything in any of my LPS, SPS, or softies..

Steve

canadawest
11-16-2002, 11:56 PM
I had a Flame Angel last year, and it picked CONSTANTLY at my Open Brain coral. Too the point where the Brain wouldn't extend anymore. And was starting to show signs of tissue recession. Made a full recovery after the Flame was gone.

Other than that, never had a problem with it picking at any of my other LPS or softies.

Oddly enough, now both my Tangs have aquired a taste for my Open Brain coral and nip at it too. Looks like I might be forced to move/remove my Brain in the interests of it's health. This would also allow me to be able to add another Centropyge Sp. in future which I would like to do.

Tigger
11-22-2002, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I think I might try and find a small flame angel and give it a try.

Old Guy
11-22-2002, 09:36 PM
I just came from J&L. They have a couple small flames.