PDA

View Full Version : From the USA

phochl61
02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Can I drive live rock and coral into Canada from the USA?

muck
02-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Sure if you have a cites permit.

Chin_Lee
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Sure if you have a cites permit.

is live rock listed on CITES?

howdy20012002
02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
yep it is

Chin_Lee
02-22-2007, 09:46 PM
yep it is
I'm sure i can find it with some research but I wonder how do they define live rock in CITES appendix?
I have and still am under the impression that CITES was put in place to limit/restrict/monitor the import/export of endangered species. How are the rocks defined as a species...... does anybody know what appendix "live rocks" are listed under?

Delphinus
02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
I think they are listed as "live rock" -- I saw the category flash by on the customs officer's PC screen when I was brokering some plants a few years ago.

But even as such, as live rock is formerly coral, just about any stoney coral is listed in CITES and the rules technically include anything that is made from a species or parts or propagules (I'm not sure if that's a word) thereof. So like seeds of a plant, or boots made from an alligator, are still considered part of CITES. So live rock would still fall under this area if not listed outright. But ultimately I guess this is a moot point as I'm pretty sure it is listed as "live rock" or "coral rock."