PDA

View Full Version : would this work?

spikehs
02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
i am looking at minimizing the amount of equipment I use on my tank, I wanted to have a canister filter for some carbon and poly-filter, but also need a return pump.... Would the following work?

I have a 50gal tank (36 x 18 x 18) w/ a 20 gal sump. If I had the intake in the sump, and the return in the main tank, do you think i'd get enough flow?
I am looking for quite a slow flow through the sump, so if I got 2 x 3 turnover that'd be good enough for me...

comments? suggestions?

Quagmire
02-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I dont think you'll have enough flow.3x 20g turn over is only 60g.So thats just over 1x turn over in your main tank.Plus your canister filter.Dont know what you plan on keeping,but rule of thumb for salt water is 10x turn over.And for a reef tank anywhere from 30x-60x depending on the corals your keeping.As far as your sump goes,the turn over would be fine,but expect to syphon the crap that will settle on the bottom.

spikehs
02-23-2007, 12:15 AM
oh thats just for through my sump. I have 2 tunze nano streams so I should have ~ 30x turnover total... i really want a slower flow through the sump so its quieter...

Quagmire
02-23-2007, 12:24 AM
In that case,just read the last sentance :biggrin: