PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Tanks

zulu_principle
11-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Well I couldn't comment but will start a new topic.

How many people have hospital tanks ?

Is the why not the expense or something else.

sea gnome
11-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Had one, never used it and I wasn't planning to get another fish so did not have time to cycle a new one. Rachel

Aquattro
11-15-2002, 09:36 PM
I don't, probably because of the time/cost/space required. The more I read though, on people contracting different worms, bugs, etc, the more inclined I am to set one up as needed.

MitchM
11-15-2002, 09:42 PM
I actually just got my 25 gal hospital tank going to treat one of my tangs that came down with ich, from my recent move. :x
I don't keep a hospital tank running, I just take existing tank water and fill the h-tank with that. The copper treatment is going to kill whatever is in the water column anyways, so I don't waste time cycling it.

I think it's a good idea to have a small empty tank sitting around for just that purpose.

Mitch

Aquattro
11-15-2002, 10:11 PM
Mitch, what do you do for water quality? Foam filter, lots of water changes, or...? Typically you could have something in the tank for a month.

reefburnaby
11-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Hi,

I usually have a hospital tank running during tank moves and major tank renovations. Otherwise, the hospital tanks sit empty, but I always have enough supplies to get a couple of hospital tanks going. The hospital tanks are large rubbermaid vats big enough to carry all of my fishes, rock and corals.

- Victor.

MitchM
11-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Brad,
The only regular mechanical water filtration I have on my tank is a protein skimmer. (Aquamedic T5000 - 48" X 8") I have a couple hundred pounds of LR and about a 5" DSB in the main tank - 204g, and in the 180g sump. I don't do water changes unless I have to.
I've recently added my UV to the setup, in order to reduce the number of Ich tomites. I hooked up the UV on November 11, and plan on keeping it going until November 25. The same goes for the Hippo in the hospital tank.

Mitch

Aquattro
11-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Mitch, I meant in the hospital tank :lol:

MitchM
11-16-2002, 02:58 PM
:o

Powerhead and heater....that's it. I'll do a water change every few days from the main tank, making sure that I have the copper dosage mixed in first..... :P

Mitch

:lol:

EmilyB
11-16-2002, 11:17 PM
If you have a fish that is sick, I suppose you need to remove it, if you have done everything else you can to solve the problem. So having an empty tank and some spare parts around is good insurance.

Quaratine was always more of an issue with me, when I was more actively stocking my tanks. I usually had an established small tank somewhere so I could put the fish in there to get it eating and monitor it. As a result, they didn't get sick, so there was no need to treat them.

I haven't quaratined my last specimens, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Maybe I was just lucky.

pierremtl
12-31-2002, 06:34 PM
I always keep a 10 gallons tanks running, with a heater, 1 inch sand,small aquaclear filter, and no lighting, for treatment (ich), quaratine, or when a fish as been attack...

Why i keep it always running?...Because when a fish as been attack and hurt...the time to prepare the tank can be quick...but if i keep the fish in the hospital few days...i prefer to have a tank where the cycle as been done...the header set...

When i transfer a fish into the hospital tank from the main tank, I do a 30% water change in the hospital tank...with the water from the main tank...

For remedy i use...Melafix (antibacterial)...i found it good...i save few specimen with Melafix...i keep the fish at least 10 days....in the hospital tank...

I leave few snail in the hospital tank...to keep the hospital running...

Any comments or suggestions ?

Pierre
Montreal
(sorry for any mispelling)

BCReefer
12-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Can you use your sump, if it is basically empty of other fish or should your hospital tank be totaly seperate?

pierremtl
12-31-2002, 07:08 PM
I thought using my sump once...just to make a fish rest after a fight !!!

As an hospital...if you use any remedy (cupper or Melafix)...you don't want that in your main tank....or stop your sump...hummmm

My 10 gallons hospital....is like a small refugium....sometime I let a cleaner shrimp...and a few snail...just for the look and to keep the cycle...and remove them before putting any fish for treatment...

A 10 gallons tanks with a small heater and filter cost not much...and i do water change only before (from the main tank) and after (new water) treatment...

Pierre