PDA

View Full Version : attn: BC 29 owners

krish
02-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I've just set up my BC 29 and it appears to be leakless, which is a good start. Now I just have to take out the bioballs and decide what to do with the filter compartments. Then it's time to make salt water.

I'm assuming someone else here must have one of these considering how quickly they seem to sell.

Does anyone here have any advice for someone just getting started with one?

i have crabs
02-22-2007, 12:15 AM
throw away the carbon/floss cartridge, mine got dirty and started backing up the water in the tank after 2-3 days, i also put a slowdown valve on the return line

krish
02-22-2007, 03:50 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

Should I have some charcoal in there though? I didn't use it in my fw tanks, but it seems I've read that people use it in their nanos.

Chaloupa
02-22-2007, 05:40 AM
I filled up the 2nd chamber on my BC14 with live rock rubble and pieces, took out the floss and charcoal, cut a piece of filter floss to fit the tray above the live rock rubble that I take out and clean every couple of days, but the stuff is so cheap you can buy it and make sooo many out of one package, our next mod is to use a locline fitting so we can split the return in 2 directions, and possibly to change the pump for a bit larger....but there is SO many things you can mod on these tanks, ie scrape off the paint from the back, put a light at the back and turn the 2nd chamber into a fuge......there is another "nano" site that has soooo many threads on mods for thesse. It's pretty cool! Of course, we can't just buy and it and leave it alone...we all want to make it BETTER:wink:

i have crabs
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
aquaclear 110 carbon fits right in the chamber where the bio balls are, i took out half the bioballs and put in floss and a carbon on top of the bio balls and put a piece of floss on top of the tray above the bioballs to quiet it down a bit,and i also put a sponge in where the carbon cartridge was.
im concidering building 2 closed loops with some mj1200's and buying a inline heater so i can hide everything in the back,right now i have a seio820 and a ebojagger heater taking up valuable property

krish
02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
I cut the center out of the grate in the first chamber and put my heater in there. It's a Stealth 150w and it fits perfectly.

The back of mine just feels like glass so I didn't try scraping off the paint on the back. Should I give it a try anyway?

Another question: sand or no sand? I know there's a whole section on here devoted to that question. I'll read up on that as I can. In the meantime, what do you do?

JSTR
02-23-2007, 02:53 AM
I cut the center out of the grate in the first chamber and put my heater in there. It's a Stealth 150w and it fits perfectly.

The grate in the first chamber comes out. Push down on it and it should pop out.

All the accessories for the aquaclear 500 (or 110 I believe they are noe called) fit in the second chamber with no problems.

Small modification puts a Tunze nano stream behind the wall in the back chambers and flows to the front.

Upgrade stock return pump to an ~350 gph pump with little modifications or additional noise.

Really the possibilities with these tanks are endless, just a matter of how far you are willing to mod it.

I have a BC29, running the Tunze nanostream 6025 as a return, phosban 150 reactor, remora aqua c skimmer and media from a AC500. The only visible parts are the top of the skimmer and the phosban reactor plumbed into the side of the tank. None of these mods are visible from inside the tank.

As for the sand or no sand - really its a personal preference - there are valid arguements for both sides. Please don't revisit that topic here - its been beat to death.

Paul

krish
02-23-2007, 03:15 AM
All the accessories for the aquaclear 500 (or 110 I believe they are noe called) fit in the second chamber with no problems.

If I don't mod it in any way, what media would you suggest I use in that middle chamber?

I have a BC29, running the Tunze nanostream 6025 as a return, phosban 150 reactor, remora aqua c skimmer and media from a AC500. The only visible parts are the top of the skimmer and the phosban reactor plumbed into the side of the tank. None of these mods are visible from inside the tank.

A whole new tank! At the moment I'm not interested in any mods that involve plumbing or cutting. If it means I can only keep mushrooms and 2 clowns that's fine for now. I just want to get me feet wet, so to speak.

As for the sand or no sand - really its a personal preference - there are valid arguements for both sides. Please don't revisit that topic here - its been beat to death.

Gotcha. :wink:

craiglarson
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Check out Sapphire Aquatics.com. They make a protein skimmer for the BC29 that fits into Chamber 2. I'm considering the purchase and the threads about in at nano-reef.com are very good. Retails for $145 US. Lots of other mods available as well from nanotuners.com.

Craig

Van-rookie
08-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Check out Sapphire Aquatics.com. They make a protein skimmer for the BC29 that fits into Chamber 2. I'm considering the purchase and the threads about in at nano-reef.com are very good. Retails for $145 US. Lots of other mods available as well from nanotuners.com.

Craig

Hi Craig

Did you get the sapphire skimmer ?
I am thinking of getting the BC29R and want to know whether it is really good or not

thanks

Skimmin
08-28-2007, 05:14 AM
When I had my bc29 I removed the bio balls, trimmed the back of the lid, hung a CSS65 hob skimmer. Skimmer worked well once I did the needlewheel mod.